Saturday, September 6, 2008

9/6/08

Ahh well, a win is a win. It wasn't exactly pretty, but in defense of the lads, this was their first game while most of the country were playing their second. I may not be a happy camper next weekend, but at least it looks like Michigan ain't so great either. As an added bonus, those Jesuits in Boston lost. Hehehehehe.

Here's a lesson to all of you: I made it through Austin tonight... at 40mph. Now, this may not sound so great for a trip down a major interstate. For that bunch of degenerates though, it's record speed. And the chick at the McDonald's in Italy gave me 11 McNuggets when I ordered 10, so there. The lesson? The world is a better place when the Fighting Irish win.

Speaking of the 40mph thing, I hope you'll indulge me a bit of a non sequitur for a minute or two. When I lived in the Fort Worth area, we were taught in school that Texas was the biggest and baddest republic in America and every other state was pretty much full of pussies. I'm paraphrasing of course, but they really did try to indoctrinate that lesson in us. Good for them, as far as I'm concerned. Nothing wrong with a healthy sense of state pride. What I can't figure out then is why so many people here seem so damn afraid to drive at the speed limit. Don't even think about adding a little bit of rain to the mix. Bunch of candyasses.

Anyhow, what were we discussing? The trip down I-35? It wasn't perfect, but good enough for me. Kinda like the football game in that sense, I suppose. I didn't pick up enough hours to reach Laredo until after midnight tonight had passed, so staying in Lancaster until late in the evening would have been my best approach even without having football to watch all day. Sometimes the stars just align. Since Saturday is now gone, my week will stay at the 2,131 miles plus holiday and northeast pay. Fair enough. I put in my request for home time when I got here. I'm #49 on the board and highlighted for home, so I expect to get out of town within a reasonable time frame. There are a ton of trailers on the yard right now.

2 comments:

  1. Been reading your blog for a while now,are you still satisfied with your OTR career?
    And how much money can a guy look to make his first year driving vans OTR?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been exactly what I expected it to be, so in that sense I would have to say that I'm satisfied. It does take a toll on the social life and things like that though.

    In my first year, I made around $47K. From what I hear, most people don't do quite that well in their first years. Somewhere around $40K sounds more typical. So far this year, I'm a little over $38K. I guess that would get me somewhere between $55K and $60K by the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.