Thursday, December 13, 2007

12/13/07

I don't know what's wrong with me. Usually a long day on the road involves me getting bored or hungry or just generally distracted, so I get off the road and screw up my schedule. Then I end up running hard to finish off the trip. These last two days have flown by and I've stayed on the road. That's actually the case for pretty much the whole last week. Crazy. I'm starting to seem like a real truck driver or something.

The plan was originally to split my remaining hours between today and tomorrow morning. After I got to the nine hour mark today though, it seemed like I had hardly driven at all so I just kept going. I put in a full eleven and knocked out 700 miles, so it was a very productive day. Tomorrow morning I'll run until my hours are out, then have time for an eight hour break to extend my 14 before I finish off after midnight. Dumb schedule? Yep. Illogical way to prevent tired drivers? Yep. Typical of a government mandate? Yep. Another day in the trucking business? Yep.

Oklahoma, damn! I've never seen so many busted trees in my life. I got a pretty good AM signal out of Tulsa so I was listening to the stories of the general misery those people are suffering. Power failures, people using stoves for heat and getting carbon monoxide poisoning, improvised heating devices causing house fires, hard-wired smoke detectors not working due to the power outage, smoke inhalation deaths, traffic deaths. Sheesh! The roads were clean and dry today and the traffic flowed freely. That was a very big deal for me, considering the timeline I'm on.

So I guess I'll fire up a cigar and watch another movie. I get wicked fast download speeds at home so I need to get some of these off of my hard drive before I get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.