Sunday, April 26, 2009

4/26/09

The truck drivers of the world do love the old Flying J, don't they? It seems that these places are chock full of trucks at any time and in any location. Today's particular excursion found me circling the lot in Aurora a few times at 1:30pm before a parking space opened up. I guess I could have gone down the road a few more miles to the Sapp Brothers, but last night's post left me in the mood for a slice of pizza from Flying J. Since the Bosselman's at Exit 54 in Kansas had no peanut butter and jelly sandwiches when I stopped this morning to check, I felt obligated to get my slice of pizza for dinner.

It got nice and cold last night in Kansas. That was pretty sweet. It seems that I'm able to sleep a little bit at night as long as the air is cold. Today is a somewhat cool and cloudy sort of afternoon in the Denver area, so I imagine it'll be good and chilly tonight as well.

Now I'll have to spend my evening coming to grips with the fact that Notre Dame's highest-drafted player was picked in the 4th Round, just after a defensive tackle from the University of Western Ontario. The NFL.com analysis on the Ontario kid tells us just about all we need to know - "Martin is a native Canadian who also attended college north of the border. Nobody really knows how good his competition was in college, but he had a great workout at Michigan's pro day. It's ironic that he wound up getting drafted ahead of any Michigan player." So Our Lady's guys are worse than unknown? Damn. At least this means that my Irish got someone drafted before U of M did. Baby steps, my friends. Baby steps. Even if my team ain't so good just yet, it's still easier to live in Michigan when the local team is worse. Best of luck to David Bruton with the Broncos, but his departure signals the official end of the Willingham era at Notre Dame. I'm not too sure about the 2010 draft, but I think the Irish will be quite well represented in 2011 and beyond.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry Dude, glad to see you hanging on, but until Notre Dame joins a legimate conference for Football, they are Big East in all other atheletics, I beleive, and loosens up enrollment requirements, they will never get back to where they were. I am an admitted SC honk, but those players are not there for academia,let's face facts. It'a a business and the NFL is the biggest proponent of it because they have a legitmate farm system, and they have no noticable involvement in said enterprise. And by the way, the scar down the center of my pshycological make-up at forty two, has nothing to do with my Irish Catholic upbringing..right..

    ReplyDelete
  2. The conference argument is by far your weakest effort. They already have six or seven steady opponents every year, so the handful of other games are easy enough to fill. First rate facilities now, no sharing of revenue, yada yada yada. The conference deal is a non-issue.

    Admissions is another story though. They actually do pretty well across the whole field in recruiting, except for the front seven on defense. The Rey Reys of the world ain't getting into Notre Dame any time soon. Those front seven guys will be the deciding factor for the lads over the next year or two. If they can hold their own against the run, the team is stacked at every other position.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.