Monday, February 9, 2009

2/9/09

Well that's that. Apparently, we're all told, OTR drivers work 70 hours every week. I worked 70 hours in the last week. I can assure you that weeks like that are few and far between. Unfortunately, weeks with over $1,600 in gross pay are likewise few and far between. The conundrum persists. How can I work my typical 45-50 hours and get paid like I worked my ass off? Probably doing something other than driving a truck, I suppose. But sometimes I like driving a truck for a living. The conundrum persists.

The weather was a little dreary and a little rainy on the way up to Portland this morning. Still no snow though. I'll consider this a significant victory for global warming over those anti-science right-wingers out there. Good enough for me anyway. I was able to make it to Portland within my available hours. The last stretch over to my consignee on the northeast side of town by the airport? Well... I made it to Portland within my available hours. We'll leave it at that.

Now my log book is shot so I have to take today off. The glamorous Jubitz truck stop will be home for the day. I told my fleet manager that I'll get back on the board by tomorrow morning, but I'll only have a few hours coming to me at that time anyway. If I don't get anything assigned tomorrow, I'll stay here and get a 34-hour restart. If I do get something assigned, I'll pick it up and see what happens from there. I'll have lots of available hours coming back into the fold starting Wednesday. Either way I'm not complaining.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you had such a big week for the pocket! Hope it continues for you.


    EW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I don't imagine there will be many weeks like this one for quite a while, but I'd like some steady work for a bit. Last year wrapped up pretty slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. [i]Apparently, we're all told, OTR drivers work 70 hours every week.[/i]

    Close Corleone......Actually it reads more like [b]"work 80-100, log 70, paid for 40."[/b]

    Just didn't want you to be slipping on us out there Don! Us goombahs gotta stick together! :)

    Barzini

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.