Thursday, September 25, 2008

9/25/08

How bad does a 4am wakeup call suck? What, we covered that already? Okay then.

That Nashville ConWay yard is one giant clusterfuck at 4:30am. Most locations have one-way traffic flow and some sense of order to the chaos. Not that one. So, after tossing and turning all night, that was a fitting start to my day. Traffic out of Nashville wasn't bad at such an early hour. Then I hit Knoxville during rush hour. The traffic there wasn't really that bad either, but I was in a pissy mood so it bugged me plenty.

After I made my relay in Troutville, I hung around for an hour or so before receiving my next assignment. Shit. I have to take a relay from here to the ConWay in Newark tomorrow evening. So a day of sitting in Godforsaken Troutville it is. Tough sledding this week, I guess. After I get to Newark tomorrow night, I'll be a little over 1,500 miles for the week. Something decent for the weekend could rescue me. A little bit of good news came when I saw that my safety bonus will be on tomorrow's paycheck. That extra few hundred bucks will take a little of the sting out of whatever I end up with this week.

The steady rain combined with the stench of piss on the concrete really makes for a welcoming environment at this shithole. I guess you could figure out that my weight bench is staying put again tonight. Then who knows what I'll end up doing for parking tomorrow night? Oh well, the world needs fat truck drivers too.

Depending on how this weekend goes, I might head home and take a couple of days off next week. I really don't need to be home any time soon but if the pace doesn't pick up, I'm going to be in the mood to drink a few dozen beers.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for giving me a reminder of one of the big reasons I left the company. Hang in there, it could be worse, but I'm not sure how. I do feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh hell, if this is as bad as it gets, I'm doing okay. I've heard from a few people that their miles have been down, but I can't remember the last bad week that I had. I just wish I hadn't burned an extra day coming out of Laredo over the weekend.

    I found a stream of the football game, so this would actually be a decent evening if I were allowed to have a few beers. I'm inclined to take Oregon State minus the points tonight (for entertainment purposes only), so the USC fans of the world should be pretty happy in a few hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehehehehe... entertainment purposes. I managed to get one right for a change. Of course that should say 'plus the points,' but you know the deal.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.