Sunday, August 24, 2008

8/24/08

I guess that any day that allows me to get through Memphis and Nashville at the speed limit is probably a good day. Decent weather, no delays, all was right with the world.

Now I'm sitting at a little parking area along the highway and trying to figure out if my cell phone is totally screwed or not. I received a call earlier and it had an obnoxious buzzing sound, audible both to myself and to the other person. So I shut the phone off, turned it back on, and tried calling back. Same buzzing sound. After a pretty thorough search of the world wide interweb, it seems that most people experiencing the same problem can point to one common factor - water. Yep, my phone was in my pocket when I got what amounted to a fully-clothed shower in Laredo the other day.

So all of the conventional wisdom is fairly useless to me at this point. They say to shut it off immediately and avoid electrical damage. Yeah, I didn't realize that there was an issue until today and it has been turned on the whole time. They say to soak everything in alcohol or to dry the components in a desiccant like rice or silica before powering on the phone. Well, like I said, it has already been on for two days and I don't have those substances handy. So for now it's disassembled, wrapped in paper towels (best I could do), and sitting in front of an A/C vent. So far I haven't come across anything to cure the buzzing sound. I imagine that the damage has probably been done. Oh well, it's always something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.