Saturday, July 19, 2008

7/19/08

You know what's really cool? Rolling out of bed and expecting the clock to say noon, then seeing 9:30am. I was feeling like a million bucks this morning. Or maybe. Or... what does a million bucks feel like, anyway? I mean, it would probably feel similar to a thousand bucks, only with bigger numbers printed on the paper, right? Whatever. I was feeling well rested and ready to roll.

The first part of the day was the good old 'set the cruise and kick back' routine. That's my kind of driving. There was a bit of a logjam at the tunnel in Mobile, but nothing nearly as bad as the eastbound traffic. For the most part, that route along I-10 through the panhandles is pretty sparsely populated. Going through on a weekend makes it even better.

I had covered around 450 miles by the time I got to Hammond, Louisiana. I thought that was enough for today, so I pulled into the Petro. Not a single fucking parking space? At 6pm, on a Saturday? What the hell is up with that? I tried the Pilot across the street. Yeah, funny. My directory showed a Chevron with parking at exit 15, so I headed there. Three parking spaces and five parked trucks. Okay then. I didn't even bother trying the Pilot in Denham Springs. I don't even like stopping at that fustercluck for fuel. I was pretty sure that the dumpy truck stop just west of Baton Rouge would have a spot for me. Yep, wide open.

So here I am. I drove a little over 500 miles which is plenty for today. This sets me up for a pretty easy pace after I leave here. I'll get past Houston tomorrow and then head into Laredo on Monday. If you'll excuse me, I'm watching one Swiftie trying to spot another Swiftie as he backs into a parking space. There's nobody within three spaces on either side of him and this has been going on for ten minutes. I know, I know. Stereotypes are bad. I get it. This is funny though.

2 comments:

  1. Cool man. I've been reading your blog for quite some time. Found it on CFIdrivers. You'll be passing through my home of Lake Charles tomorrow (today).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice easy drive through town this afternoon. That stretch is usually pretty frustrating for me.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.