Thursday, July 17, 2008

7/17/08

So it's summer in an election year. I guess the thing to do is promise a bunch of stuff that will never actually happen. I'm happy to do my part. I promise to establish a national database for truck stop whores, so that once you refuse the first one the other three won't bother knocking. I'm also better on economics than either of the current candidates, but since I'm not old enough to actually be President, we'll just stick with the whore database for now.

Other than the working girls, I didn't have any criminal issues arise last night. That was a nice relief, given the questionable nature of my surroundings. I got up and headed over to the brewery bright and early this morning. Traffic was reasonable, considering the 8am pick up time. Once I got my loaded trailer and scaled out, it was a fairly easy drive up to the consignee in South Carolina. They had some newfangled automatic wheel chock thing that threw me off at first. It was set up such that the trailer had to be absolutely perfectly square with the dock. Then, as I backed in, a roller type thing came up around the trailer tires to hold them in place. Pretty cool I guess.

Once I got empty there, I headed west along I-26 to the nearest rest area, maybe twenty miles from my drop point. After an hour or two, I got my next assignment. In breaking with recent tradition, I was actually headed west along I-26. Lately it seems that I drive one way to find parking, then get sent the other way for my next load. I headed up to Gaffney for another drop/hook and then parked for the night. I have another load heading for Jacksonville, slated to drop tomorrow afternoon.

Today was not nearly as frustrating as most days have been lately. That's a good thing since I'm trying to hang in there and grab a couple more paychecks before I take a few days off. There was some pretty heavy rain along I-95. Otherwise though, just a nice steady day of work. My deadhead to Gaffney was fairly long and tomorrow's loaded run is a little over 400 miles. Adding in whatever I get for the weekend, I have a decent shot at a 3,000 mile week. This would mitigate the 1,900 miles last week for the most part.

I guess it's bedtime now. I need to get to Jacksonville by 2pm, so tomorrow brings an early wake up call.

4 comments:

  1. What is it that you have against truckstop hookers my brother? Only speaking from experience, and this goes back twenty years, but it was more the smell than the jagged teeth or the tattered hair. I guess feminine hygyine is a fragile thing. They always seemed to have this pungent odor, enough to fill the cab if you rolled down the window.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Godfather:
    Is it true if you toss a pair of panties on your dash, the lizards will leave you alone?
    By the way, great blog been reading it for months now. Just started with Trainco last week and Con-way Truckload is on the short list.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.