Monday, July 14, 2008

7/14/08

The day started with a quick thirty mile drive up to my consignee. I sent a message as I was leaving, and my fleet manager switched my unpaid run to a paid one. That's always nice. I showed up around 45 minutes ahead of my appointment time. The guy in the dock area acted like I was three days early or something. I don't know what that's all about, but they got me a dock before too long. Once I was empty, I had to decide whether to go back thirty miles to the south (where I spent the night) or to go twenty miles to the north. I picked north.

After hanging around for most of the afternoon, I got my next assignment... going south. Story of life I guess. I had to head down to the Chicago suburbs for a drop/hook tomorrow morning. My choice was whether to head into the northern Illinois mess during rush hour and look for somewhere to park or to hang around in Wisconsin and make the drive before the sun comes up tomorrow. I decided to go straight to the shipper and let the parking situation sort itself out on its own. My load wasn't ready, but the security guard did let me drop my trailer and park in an unused driveway for the night. That'll do.

In keeping with what seems to be a typical July pattern, I dropped off a load one day and didn't get a pick up until the next day. At least this time around I got a longer deadhead than I've been getting over the past week or so. The 164 miles down here, combined with the 1,076 loaded miles, will have me on a pretty good pace this week.

I found a few video streams of the Home Run Derby, but they're all a little too choppy for me to watch. That's not really a favorite event if mine anyway, but the political talk is getting stale again so some kind of diversion would be fun. I think I'll just watch a few more video clips of Miss Venezuela. Ay! caramba!

2 comments:

  1. Dude, if you happen to talk to Miss Venezuela, would you ask her to quit calling, we are done. And the derby is great tonight, this Josh Hamilton kid got loose, and his story is really cool as well.
    Now, if the Angels would stop pitching to him it would be all good. Have safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'll tell her, but that brings up another issue. As I understand man laws, you don't date a friend's ex unless she's totally hot, in which case the moratorium is six months.

    I'm sure you would understand if I had to break the code and take a run at this one, right?

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.