Tuesday, April 29, 2008

4/29/08

I spent the night at a little ghetto truck stop near my drop, then woke up to find myself at #4 on the board. Not bad. A few hours later, I got a load assignment. I had to head down to our main broker in Nogales and pick up a load headed for Texas. Not bad. First I went to the Pilot on the north side of town and got some food. There was no line at the cashier and the traffic wasn't as screwed up as it usually is around there. Not bad.

Yeah, that's about as far as that 'not bad' paragraph could possibly go. My dispatch to the other broker said that I was picking up a pre-loaded trailer and it included a trailer number. The inclusion of the trailer number tends to indicate that I'm good to go. Not this time. I showed up this afternoon and checked the yard. My trailer was nowhere to be found. I hung out for a while, watching every trailer that came and went. Nada. I took a nap, woke up, and took another walk around the yard. Nope. I sat all night, again watching each trailer come and go. Nothin' doin'.

Remember yesterday, when I mused about not having to communicate with Joplin? At some point this evening, I initiated the following exchange of messages:

Q: IS THIS TRLR COMING TODAY?
A: SHOULD BE.

Should be? Really? That's the answer? Should be? What the hell ever man. I don't recognize the name attached to the message, but that tends to be about as good as it gets after business hours so I didn't even bother following up. I had enough broadband speed to watch the Tigers and Red Wings, so I've put my feet up for the night. Maybe my trailer will be here when I wake up tomorrow.

Does anyone know what langauge (not the English, I figured that part out) this is?

Whatever it is, that was the language of the announcers too. Baseball isn't really a game where I rely on the commentary so it was good enough.

The Wings were being broadcast all over the net, so I have a nice easy (English) feed to watch for this one. 2-1 in the second - sweet. It's not the same without Claude the Bitch to kick around, but they're still the Avalanche.

Not much chance of putting a good spin on the start to this week. Sunday and Monday were spent finishing last week's work and Tuesday was spent with my thumb up my ass. I did, however, get an extra diversion when another driver down here was giving away 72-count boxes of Airheads. Apparently she was at a shipper that gave her a whole case of those boxes. I thought for sure I could eat all 72, but I got a stomach ache after 25 of them. At least I didn't have to buy any food tonight though, since my week-to-date pay is a big fat goose egg. That's a bonus.

Anyway, GO WINGS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.