Monday, April 28, 2008

4/28/08

It occurred to me as I was driving today that my job has been quite enjoyable since I left home. Then it occurred to me that I haven't talked to anyone in Joplin since before I went home. I'm not sure if the two are related. In any case, I do like being left alone to do my job and having things go according to plan. As long as nothing goes wrong, there is no reason to have a head-scratching conversation.

Today's drive took me across US-70 from Roswell to Las Cruces, and then on the interstates to Nogales. The mountains were pretty tame with my reasonably light load, so that was nice. I even got to see some fighter jets cruising around the Air Force base on US-70. Not exactly something I see up close every day.

I got to the broker tonight and got to see if I still know how to back my truck. I've had pull-through parking spaces since I left the shipper, who had a huge wide-open dock area. This place was up some scrawny ass dirt road and behind what appeared to be houses. The dock area was quite tight and the ground was not even close to being flat. As I inched back toward the dock, the angle I had to use left my trailer extremely close to the one on my left. As the wheels on the right would go over a bump, the trailer would tip leftward and come within inches of an "incident." Never fear though; Another foot back would be another bump on the ground, tipping it back to the right.

Long story short - I made the drop tonight instead of tomorrow morning and got on the board at #8. That was an hour and a half ago and I'm still #8, so my guess is that I'm not getting an assignment until morning. So Sunday and Monday were spent finishing out last week's 2,262 miles. Tuesday will start this week for me. There are a lot of wide open spaces around here so I should have a good shot to kick things off with a decent number of miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.