Friday, April 25, 2008

4/25/08

I won't pretend that I was eager to get back to work, but it actually felt good to do something useful for a change.

I stopped by the terminal last night to get an empty assigned and have them dispatch me to my pickup. Much to my (pleasant) surprise, there was a 10am-5pm window so I told the dispatcher to put me in at 2pm. That allowed me to sleep in today. Beauty.

Today's drive was mostly in Michigan, but it contained quite a bit of variety. I started east on I-94 and got off the freeway in Hamtramck, then headed up Van Dyke through some of the more sketchy neighborhoods on the west side. Then it opened up to a bunch of farm country. My customer was in a quaint little part of Michigan known as "the thumb." I don't know exactly what they have up there, other than a lot of fertile soil and a ton of satellite dishes. The pickup was quick and easy, then I was headed back south to catch up with I-69 and venture westbound. The rest of the drive was all on the interstates. Through Flint and Lansing in the afternoon... no traffic. Groovy. Then on down and past Chicago... no traffic. Groovier.

I got a good 560 miles done today. My appointment is for early Tuesday morning, so I'll have three decent days of driving to go from here.

You know what today is, don't you? Yep, it's payday. I got a $25.50 reimbursement so the handling of my $15 insurance premium with no pay will have to remain a mystery. My net pay was $10.50 this week. The other mystery is...

WHERE IN THE WORLD IS THE GODFATHER'S UPS PAY
EPISODE 4

1) A completely landlocked country
2) Attained recognized independence less than thirty years ago
3) Experienced inflation of over 100,000% as recently as 2008

Go ahead gumshoes. Find my damn money. Now I guess I'll see if the pitter patter of rain on my roof can put me to sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Your UPS money is now located in Zimbabwe, formely known as Rhodesia a British colony.
    With 100,000% inflation your money in worthless and non existent.

    Tron

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.