Wednesday, September 8, 2010

9/8/10

Back when I was a somewhat civilized fella, working for MetLife, I had a daily routine.  I would stay up late at night and usually get by on four or five hours of sleep, as I've always done whether I wanted to or not.  Then I would go to work in the morning and start on whatever paperwork and phone calls required my attention.  Sometimes I would see clients in the morning, but most of my clients worked day jobs.  After lunch I would take a nap in my car for an hour or so, then knock out some meetings to wrap up my evening.

I can't recall specifically, but I think that today may have been the first time I've taken a nap in my car since I left the suit and tie behind.  My milk run was a pretty easy affair.  The last stop took a little while longer than usual, given that I wasn't able to rotate any of the empties to the front of my trailer before I got there.  As such, I had to pull off a bunch of empties before I could get to the milk for that last store.  Then, after the milk was unloaded, I had to put away all of the empties.  All in all though, it wsn't a bad run.  I finished up in less than seven hours.

Finishing up quickly tends to be a good thing in my line of work.  The only issue was my damned workout regimen.  I'm not a big fan of going to the gym when it's crowded, as I've mentioned before.  Added into today's mix was the fact that the Novi location is closed for a couple of days.  This left me with Canton or Commerce Township as the closest options.  Canton is actually closer to home than Novi is, but I really don't dig that location.  So I decided to check out the Commerce location instead.  I was ready to go at 7pm, right during the peak hours of the evening - no bueno.  In addition, there would be plenty of regulars from the Novi location working out in Commerce tonight, adding to the crowd - no bueno.  And I was pretty tired following a shitty night's sleep last night - no bueno.  Only one thing to do in this case.  Time for a nap in the car.

It's not quite the same as having a bed behind the driver's seat, but the old car nap turned out to be quite refreshing.  Around 9:30pm I rolled up the road and pulled into the lot of the gym in Commerce.  We'll just grab the trusted gym bag here and... son of a.  I forgot to grab my damned bag on my way out the door this morning.  That's becoming a pretty obnoxious habit.  So I had to drive all the way back home and get my workout clothes anyway, meaning that the nap in the car was entirely pointless.  I could have just come home after work and gone to bed for a while.  Win some, lose some...

After driving all the way home I certainly wasn't in the mood to drive way out to BFE again, so I had to bite the bullet and go to the gym in Canton.  I'm supposed to have dinner with my parents tomorrow evening and I have a shareholders' meeting at work tomorrow morning (on my day off, of course), so it looks like I'll probably end up in Canton again in the afternoon.  Bummer.

Hey, maybe I'll get lucky and catch a Tennessee run leaving early on Friday.  That would get me back in time to watch plenty of football on Saturday.  A fella can always dream.  (Yes, for the record, I know that it's pitiful when one's dreams have been reduced to this.  I've made my peace with it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.