Wednesday, September 29, 2010

9/29/10

Can't blame that one on the UAW. It's the white-collared geniuses who decided to put the cup holders up against the climate controls. Every time I wanted to take a drink, I wound up switching the A/C to defrost by accident.  And apparently, unless they're each drinking a can of soda or something smaller, the driver and passenger aren't allowed to have simultaneous beverages in a Chevy Cobalt.  My iced tea from Wendy's was enough to take the adjacent cupholder completely out of play.  One more thing to hate about that piece of shit car, I suppose.  Hopefully I'll have my own ride back within a few days.

Given that today had all the markings of a royal pain in the ass, I guess I would have to say I was pleasantly surprised when it was all said and done.  Waking with a hangover is never the best way to kick off a work day, but that's just what I did this morning.  A few Advils and half a gallon of water were helpful with the headache and dry mouth, but only a good nap would be enough to shake the crappy feeling.  Unfortunately I wouldn't be taking a nap any time soon.  There was milk to deliver.

Speaking of milk, that was one more bad news aspect of the day.  My three stops today were in the Flint area and two of them were at stores without loading docks.  Peachy.  Moving the milk to the tailgate isn't terribly difficult, but getting everything rotated and dealing with the empties can be tough at certain stores.  Today was one of those days when I didn't feel like doing any physical work at all, so I wasn't looking forward to any part of the assignment.  It turned out that my first store received seven pallets of milk and only gave me five pallets of empties.  The second store (the one with a loading dock) received six and gave me three, plus had plenty of room for me to pull all of the milk out and rotate the empties to the nose of the trailer.  This meant that the last stop was relatively easy.  The trailer wasn't very full when I got there, so I had room to spin the pallet jack inside the trailer without any difficulty.  The dairy fella pulled his milk off, gave me some empties, and sent me on my way.

All told, I only worked for five and a half hours today.  That was pretty nice, given the way I was feeling at the start.  I thought I would enjoy a nice pre-workout nap once I was done working, but I never managed to get comfortable enough to sleep in that damned car.  So I did some reading instead, as I had intended to do yesterday before I was corrupted.  Good enough.  Tonight's workout certainly wasn't the most impressive one I've ever had but, all things considered, it will have to do.

Anything fun to do in Michigan tomorrow?  Probably not.

2 comments:

  1. I think you should get one of these for your next car.

    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/39437375#39437375

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.