Friday, September 17, 2010

9/17/10

Two things crossed my mind as I got out of bed this morning. 

#1 - Shit, I'm aching from head to toe.  It's about time to take a day off from that damned gym and drink a few beers instead.  This fitness stuff is all well and good, but I haven't been drinking nearly enough alcohol lately.  A fella needs to have some way to distract himself from the boring reality that has become his life.  Plus I'd kinda like to die before this country descends into full-scale civil war.  I do eat plenty of red meat, but my alcohol consumption has trailed off as of late.

#2 - My Irish don't begin their loss to Michigan State until 8pm tomorrow.  I should be able to catch the second half after I get done with work in the evening.  Saturdays don't tend to be very busy and, with the exception of last week, I usually catch an early pull time on Saturday.

So... This afternoon's milk run was about as flawless as they can be.  My first stop in Flint was at one of the Kroger locations with no loading dock.  In the absence of a dock, you tend to want the milk to be on the tailgate (for obvious reasons).  First stop = milk on the tailgate.  Half hour, in and out.  Beauty.

My second stop was in Mount Morris.  On my last trip to that store, the power jack wasn't functioning properly.  The receiving dude and I had to pull the milk out of my trailer with a manual pallet jack.  By the time I showed up today, the power jack had been repaired and all was right with the world.  I got all of the milk delivered for that stop and also rotated my remaining milk to the tailgate, all within 45 minutes.  Good deal.

The final stop in Frankenmuth only took a half hour, after which I was headed back to the dairy to wrap up a nice and easy shift.  Only the gym issue remained.  With the way that my workout schedule falls, today would have been a logical time to take a day off.  I worked out my back last night and that workout takes its toll on my biceps.  My arms are next in the rotation, so it's usually good to take a day off after the back workout and let everything rest.  Then I can charge through the next several days and get all muscular and shit (or whatever).

I wasn't intending to take tonight off though.  Since I'm one of the little bitches proud Teamsters at Quickway, I have to work on Saturdays.  Maybe some day I'll have higher seniority, but we're not there yet.  So I thought that I would go ahead and knock out my arm workout tonight, then take tomorrow night off and find somewhere to watch the football game.  This likely would be the best outcome for which I could hope.

After I dropped off tonight's paperwork I got the really good news.  My pull time for tomorrow is 6:30pm.  I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.  It must be two months since I've had such a late pull time.  So, of course, when there's a night game that I might actually be able to watch... there we go.  Back to the late pulls.

Since I won't be watching football (or doing anything else fun) tomorrow night, I went ahead and took tonight as my rest period.  My body was rather grateful, although the Notre Dame fan in me was disappointed in the way that things turned out.  Bummer.

Grand Blanc, Hartland, and South Lyon tomorrow.  Starting at 6:30pm and screwing me out of watching the game is bad enough.  When we add in the fact that these three stops all suck and this run pays just a few cents above the daily minimum... well... you can figure it out.  Another day in paradise will surely arrive before too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.