Tuesday, September 14, 2010

9/14/10

You know what pisses me off?  Well, a lot of things, actually.  I'm sure we've established that after nearly 1,200 of these posts.  But do you know what pisses me off at this moment?  Of course you don't.  I'll have to tell you.

In the midst of today's first run, I got a call from the dispatcher at work.  He had me lined up for a load leaving the dairy at 10am tomorrow and wanted to make sure that I would be done by midnight tonight, so that I would complete a ten hour break in time.  No problem on that front.  Today's two loads and $246 in earnings took just over nine hours.  There were no major issues along the way and the Kroger employees that I encountered were all helpful and efficient.  I was done before 10pm.  Beauty.

Tomorrow's assignment made me curious though.  I'm heading down to Eighty Four, Pennsylvania in the morning.  I'll drop off a loaded trailer at a dairy down there and bring back an empty.  Apparently this can be done within one hardcore driving shift, so I'll be back at a decent hour tomorrow night.  And I'll earn a nice chunk of change along the way.  I'm not sure exactly what the paid mileage will be, but at 45.4 cents per mile and $13.65 for the one stop, it should be rather agreeable to me.  That's all well and good.

But here's what pisses me off.  Eighty Four.  What in the hell does that mean?  Surely it's not a tribute to my uniform number when I was a junior varsity wide receiver at Lincoln Park High School.  (My varsity number was 83.)  So what does it mean?  Wikipedia basically says that nobody knows for sure.  Some other website says that there are conflicting stories.  Everything else that came up in my Google search was essentially worthless.  That pisses me off.

On a positive note, now I know where the name 84 Lumber originated.

I'm not too optimistic about this sleep thing, but I need to get to bed.  10am will come in a hurry.  I did knock out a pretty intense leg workout at the gym not too long ago.  Them there's some big muscles, so they should have depleted my energy reserves a little.  We'll just pop a couple of Tylenol PM's and hope for the best.

(Anyone who was around in the late 1800's can feel free to chime in with some insight about that town's name.  It pisses me off.)

2 comments:

  1. Spell it out, Sjoe. It pops right up!

    Randall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I posed a question to anyone who was around in the late 1800's, I should have known that I would hear from you.

    (Sorry buddy. I haven't busted your balls in a while, but you walked right into that one. I couldn't resist.)

    As for my Swedish buddy Sjoe, I haven't seen him lately. Not a whole lot of fun to be had around here, so the fella is probably back in Europe watching soccer or whatever they do over there. I have no doubt that he'll show up on a moment's notice when I need him though. No doubt at all.

    Now, on the topic that pops right up. I did spell it out. I just didn't see a definitive answer. They changed the name from Smithville because there was already a Smithville. I'm fine with that.

    Perhaps you recall from your road warrior days (or from my blog) that there's a town called New Smithville with a truck stop. It's not clear to me whether or not that name also was already taken, but somehow we wound up with Eighty Four. Is it a Grover Cleveland thing, a railroad thing, or a new post office thing? Nobody seems to be able to say for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.