Thursday, September 16, 2010

9/16/10

I learned something today.  If I'm ever forced to spend some time in the hospital, I'm sure as hell not going to one around here.  I'm heading northward. 

My father had his knee replaced on Tuesday, so I drove out to Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak to hang out with him for a while today.  Mom has been keeping an eye on him, but she has to leave and pick up my niece from school in the afternoon.  (Stop the press!  My brother-in-law has a job.  And he's into his second week without quitting or getting fired.  This is epic stuff here.)  Now, back to the narrative...  Since my sister and her husband are both employed now, Mom gets to play the role of part-time chauffeur and part-time babysitter.  Dad is still having a tough time getting around, so I figured I might as well fill in for a while on my day off.  After seeing that hospital I have to say - damn.  I've had enough injuries to last three lifetimes, as well as a couple of kidney stone incidents in my life so far.  That place in Royal Oak is like a five star resort compared to the hospitals where I've been treated.

I also learned that I hope I never need a knee replacement.  Oy.  It looks like he was a victim of the Texas chainsaw massacre or something.  My legs have been battered and beaten over the years, so it's probably only a matter of time, but oy.

After sleeping late, spending some time at the bookstore, fighting the traffic through a pretty wicked thunderstorm, and hanging around the hospital all afternoon, my day off wound up going by pretty quickly.  C'est la vie.  I still had time for a quick power nap tonight before heading out to the gym.  My pull time for tomorrow is set for 1pm so I may manage to get a little rest before it's time to get cracking again.  Only one load thus far for tomorrow.  Assuming that I get done working and lifting weights somewhat early and assuming that my boring friends remain boring, I've got some fresh reading material to keep me occupied.  Good enough.  "At least you sleep in your own bed every night..."  Bah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.