Saturday, May 15, 2010

5/15/10

While I was sitting in the drivers' room in Alabama a few days ago, waiting to get loaded, one of the other guys was talking about how he was going to take some local gig paying beaucoup bucks and so forth.  I mentioned that the jobs back home seem to be paying less and less as time goes by.  In my daily e-mail of job listings, I often see ads for local positions requiring a CDL-A and hazmat, paying in the $12-$15 hourly range.  The same jobs were paying at least $19 an hour as recently as last year.  Today I saw a listing that seemed a lot better.  Home daily, making $71K-$84K?  That's better than a kick in the balls.  The 70 hour work weeks would suck though.  Oh, and it's in North Dakota.  I won't say that you couldn't pay me enough because there's a price for everything, but it would take quite a bit more to convince me to live in North Dakota.

This afternoon brought a nice and easy drive through Pennsylvania and over to the New Jersey Turnpike.  I needed to use the restroom and didn't really feel like going into Connecticut today anyway, so the Vince Lombardi service plaza was the end of the line.  I've never stopped here before, so I was surprised to find that it's actually a pretty nice place.  Clean showers, clean restrooms, etc.  I hadn't expected that.  Plus I get the benefit of a nice fast internet connection so I'm able to watch the Tigers as they're losing another one to those degenerates from Boston.

Tomorrow's drive should be somewhere around 200 miles.  I know that there's a truck stop on US-1 somewhere in the general area of where I'm delivering on Monday.  I stopped there once before.  This time I should actually get some better value for my company's $6.

Now, if you'll excuse me, the Tigers have just tied the game so it's time to wrap this thing up.

Wasn't it supposed to rain today?

4 comments:

  1. If you are working 70 hours a week, it doesn't matter where you are living.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you up to a certain point. Twelve hours at work still leaves twelve hours not at work. Plus the listing says that they work six days on and two off. I'm not sure where the even-value point would be (for me personally) to spend those two days in North Dakota. I just know that it would be higher than $80K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inquiring minds might wonder: Why a Vince Lombardi service plaza in New Jersey?

    Lombardi, who was born in 1913 and died in 1970, coached for seven years at St. Cecilia's High School in Englewood, N.J. In that time, his teams won six state championships.

    A small framed picture of Lombardi hangs from a wall with a list of accomplishments beneath his chiseled face.

    Now that we have that mystery solved, let’s try to figure out why they don’t sell a “Just for Men” pubic hair coloring gel? We live in America for God’s sake!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.