Friday, May 14, 2010

5/14/10

It has been almost nine months since I declared inependence from excessive text messages.  For some people who were habitual offenders, there was a period of adjustment before they got used to the three-message limit.  Others adapted more quickly.  The net result has been a lot less annoyance and wasted time on my end, plus perhaps a few entertaining phone calls that otherwise wouldn't have taken place.  One particular textaholic, however, has basically washed her hands of me.  Casualties of war, I suppose.  Since I consider some of you to be polite company, we'll just call her a friend of mine.  She's not really much of a friend, as evidenced by the fact that she doesn't call anymore, but I lead a solitary life and I have no dignity.  You can do the math from there. 

So yeah, despite the fact that I haven't heard from her in a while, I gave her a call this morning.  She lives near the truck stop in Harrisonburg, Virginia, in case you're still not pickin' up what I'm puttin' down here.  (Like I said, I have no dignity.)  Alas, I got no answer and she never returned my call.  So I continued onward to the Pilot in Hagerstown, Maryland before deciding to call it a day.  Now we're left to analyze - was the crackdown on excessive text messages worth it?  After weighing the pros and cons, I have to say yes.  The policy has been worthwhile.  One more night alone at a truck stop is no big deal in the grand scheme of things.  From this broad, we would have been talking literally hundreds of text messages over the past nine months.  And she never really had anything useful to say.  Life is a series of tradeoffs and so forth.

The drive was about as good as could be expected, given the weight of my payload and the hilly terrain.  If I was a little ahead of schedule after yesterday's drive, then I must be well ahead of schedule after today's.  My paid miles for this trip were 1,279 and I've driven something like 830 so far, so I basically have two days left in which to drive seven or eight hours.  My kinda pace. 

I've been sleeping late and staying up late (as I'm prone to do), so I'm not sure that I'll be inclined to go all the way into New England tomorrow.  Given that it's a weekend, I could probably find parking at night but there doesn't seem to be a reason to try.  Things with me are always subject to change, but I'm thinking I'll probably stop short tomorrow and leave a few hours of work for Sunday.  That should work out just groovy.

Wasn't it supposed to rain today?

2 comments:

  1. rofl rofl You're killing us! We would feel sorry for your plight of the non-contact issue, but we can't stop laughing....sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See there? All for a good cause then. More laughter is always what the world needs most.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.