Sunday, May 16, 2010

5/16/10

I don't care if you want to tell me that there's oil filling the Gulf of Mexico, the national debt is accelerating beyond belief, the situation in Iraq may be deteriorating, Iran is about to become a nuclear threat, or the unemployment rate is expected to stay at "unacceptably high levels" for the foreseeable future.  You naysayers out there can have your naysaying.  I made it through the Bronx with no delays today and the Tigers just finished taking five out of seven from the Yankees and Red Sox.  It's a great day in America.

There was really only one point during tody's drive up I-95 when everything came to a stop.  Things flowed freely through the toll plazas.  Things flowed freely through the construction zones.  Things flowed freely through the cities.  At one spot though, somewhere below Milford, Connecticut, a group of jackass motorcycle riders decided to take a break.  Pull into a rest area?  Nah, that's too old-fashioned.  Pull off on the side of an exit ramp?  No way man.  Too boring.  They decided to take their little hiatus right in the brakdown lane on the left side of the freeway.  That's an executable offense if I ever become dictator, but whatever...  The real issue came when the genius motorists of Connecticut, collectively and simultaneously in all three lanes, came to a dead stop in the middle of I-95.  Are motorcycles that fucking interesting?  I'm not exaggerating when I say that they're lucky nobody got killed.  With the way people pass each other and weave from lane to lane in that area, I'm surprised that nobody went careening into the stopped traffic or into the cyclists themselves.  Asshats.

Once I got up north a little further everything went smoothly though, so my blood pressure came back down to an acceptable level.  There was no wait for fuel or for a shower in Milford.  Then the traffic through the rest of Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts was light. 

There were big signs saying that trucks can't go through Providence due to bridge work, so I had to go around on I-295.  This would have come in handy anyway if I were following today's original plan and going to the truck stop on US-1.  Unfortunately though, I realized this afternoon that I'm a few days overdue for a workout.  My stopping points for the last few days haven't been conducive to dragging out the weight bench and such, so I've been putting it off.  I seem to recall that truck stop having a shitty little dirt parking lot, so I decided to go to the rest area on I-95 instead.  It's a few miles closer to my consignee and the flat asphalt will work a lot better for me.  So I had to eat a few miles by taking the loop around town and back over to I-95, but the higher speed limit and lighter traffic were enough to make it all good.

It's a beautiful sunny 70° day up here right now.  There's a nice breeze blowing.  No trucks are parked near me, so I'm enjoying the peace and quiet.  I had a fast enough internet connection to watch the last few innings of the ballgame.  Ahh...  Wait a second.  Now I have to lift weights, then get up early to make a delivery tomorrow?  That sucks.  Nevermind whatever I said before.  It's a horrible day in America.

3 comments:

  1. MANNNN....I just couldn't resist.Oil spills...national debt....unemployment...lord, I do love it so..The Obama conspiracy continues...no no no I wont go there....No more..My Redskins look to be making a rebound soon..I like where they are headed...Maybe Dannyboy has finally got it figured out....Your friendly neighborhood con-way driver...Miles have been pretty good......but ops has been a pain in the arse lately

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obama? That was a sampling of headline stories in order to set up the conclusion to the paragraph. I thought the tongue-in-cheek nature was apparent. Believe it or not, I'm actually not one who runs around looking for things to blame on the president. I didn't buy into him as a messiah and I won't buy into him as a scapegoat either. I saw plenty of that when He Who Caused Every Mishap... Evah was in office. So when I'm mocking Mr. Obama or any other political hack (and you know I will from time to time), I'll make it clear.

    Somehow the 'Skins managed not to make me bang my head on the wall during the draft. That's a start. As soon as I see an indication that McNabb is stop-gap for a year or two at most, I'll feel a lot better.

    Miles have been so-so around here, but I think it's been more an issue of bad timing vis a vis repairs and whatnot.

    Ops has been... ops. "Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew throwing the word Obama out there would get a rise...I know my prey well..couldn't resist sorry

    Mcnabb is a better option for stop gap and with a possible running game behind him, who knows he may look like the second coming of Elway. It;s that every forth pass bouncing of the turf thing that bothers me a little....

    I've been quoting Forrest Gump for 2 days...I guess great minds.......never mind forget that thought......be safe

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.