Friday, March 26, 2010

3/26/10

The kick in the balls that you knew was coming is never the most painful.  It's the unanticipated stuff that leaves the biggest impression.  At least that's how I see it.

My pickup on the north side of Lubbock today took a few hours, but that wasn't a huge deal.  I had a pretty good idea of how today was going to end up, so it didn't make a lot of difference whether I was rolling early or not.  I was on my way soon enough.  The load of bird seed was a hefty 42,000 pounds and the wind was whipping out of the south, keeping my truck working hard just to maintain 64mph with my foot to the floor.  All in all though, a pretty standard trip back down to Waco.

I dropped my loaded trailer and sent in my empty call.  For one reason or another, we're not pulling empty trailers out of that distribution center right now.  This obviously makes it a little easier to park at a crowded truck stop at night, so good enough.  The computer, however, won't put me on the board without an empty.  I called in and the dispatcher put me on the board... #15... at 10pm on a Friday.  That's the kick in the balls that I knew was coming.

What I didn't anticipate was that the SubWay in Robinson would be out of cheese pizzas.  That's certainly unfortunate.  I've never had a fish sandwich from Wendy's and I don't intend to try one any time soon, so a cheese pizza sounded like a pretty good dinner.  Peckerheads.  I didn't see that one coming.

But the biggest kick in the balls had nothing to do with truck driving or eating or any of that, although a loose correlation to the pizza saga could be made by way of Lombardi's in Little Italy.  My brothers were kind enough to let me know that they took off on a weekend road trip to New York tonight.  As I sit in a truck stop waiting for work that probably isn't coming, those two shitheads will be celebrating my youngest brother's 23rd birthday in my favorite place in the world.  That one stings a little.  Peckerheads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.