Tuesday, March 23, 2010

3/23/10

I'm instituting a new guideline, I think.  From now on, whenever I arrive in Texas, I'm going to request a day of home time immediately.  Otherwise I can't be surprised when I get sucked into the Goddamned black hole that is Waco.  I told my brothers recently that I would head back for the Blue and Gold game in April so I wasn't inclined to request home time last night.  And thus, I got burned.

After cruising around Laredo and tending to personal business all morning, I headed back to the terminal and found that I had moved from #43 to #23.  Not too shabby.  I had hardly any hours available though, so I wasn't expecting anything today.  I spent some time researching where to send my Swedish buddy Sjoe whenever he gets around to making some fireworks purchases.  Michigan's laws are a little restrictive with respect to aerial fireworks but the Swede apparently has diplomatic immunity.  I'm going to rely on him to put on a good Independence Day show for the Corleone family and friends this year.  I found some decent ideas so we'll have to see where things lead over the next couple of months.

Later in the evening I got the sort of undesirable load assignment that I suspected - overnight run with an 8am delivery.  That's about all anyone could assign to me, using the hours that I pick up at midnight, but the destination sucks the big one.  Waco.  I'll be shocked if I don't get at least one horseshit Texas regional run out of there before I make my way back into the world of OTR freight.  My two drops tomorrow morning aren't related to our main regional customer in Waco but it seems impossible to deliver in that area without getting sucked in.  From now on, I'm not taking any chances.  I'll just have to force my way out of Texas, take a day off, and make a fresh start from Michigan.

My remaining hour and a half under the 70 hour rule will get me through to midnight (when I pick up more hours) as long as I start work some time after 10:30pm.  I'm due at my first stop by 8am Central (9am Civilized).  The basic approach would be to hang around until after midnight and then make the 340 mile drive.  I've been awake all day though and I have no idea how the fatigue situation will play out, so I'll probably leave a little earlier and allow plenty of time for a long nap if one proves necessary.  The other side of the equation will be the 14 hour rule, since my second delivery is scheduled for noon.  If I leave too early, then my clock will run out before then.  I don't know.  Whatever.  Waco sucks.  That's really all I'm trying to say.

If you have any fireworks buying tips for that Swedish buddy of mine, don't hold back.  Thus far it looks like a place in Missouri is the leading contender.  320 pounds of explosives for $1,100 doesn't sound like a terrible deal, but I'm no expert in these matters.

4 comments:

  1. TSC is a drag. I feel your pain. That's why I put in for one day off at Taylor when I was in LA a few days ago. Inevitably when I'm in Kalifornication I get stuck running up and down I5 and 99 for at least a week. BTW, weather in Taylor is nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would even give you first pick with the fireworks since the second choice isn't too shabby either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The one on the left then, since you're offering.

    On a side note; You don't suppose that the 320 pound shipping weight is actually those two, plus 90 pounds of fireworks, do you?

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.