Thursday, March 25, 2010

3/25/10

My crusade against excessive text messages and my refusal to participate in the Facebook and Twitter nonsense have left me at odds with some people.  As far as I'm concerned, the inability to look another person in the eye and hold a conversation is a pervasive issue in our society.  Saying "What's up?" on a Facebook page and waiting for a "Nothing much" in return just seems stupid.  Exchanging 47 text messages to say what could be said in a two-minute phone call seems likewise.  The amusing irony that I think bloggers (of the political sort, mainly) are the biggest shitheads out there is not lost on me.  In my defense though, I make no serious representation that this stuff is actually worth reading, unlike those who are paid for their drivel.  And if you want to sit and chat over a beer, that will always sound a hell of a lot more appealing to me than typing a blog post.  Well, my friends, just a little more vindication has come my way.  By eschewing Facebook, I've managed to dodge syphillis... or something.  When was the last time you were tested?  Suckers.

When I wake from natural causes at 10am (which is 9am for the weirdos out here), things are generally off to a good start.  Today was no exception.  It took me a minute to figure out where I was, but then I realized that I had 45 minutes until Big Brother would declare me legal to drive, and then I'd have a quick hop over to Big Spring for my delivery.  Not bad.  The forklift gal at the consignee had me empty in short order, after which I cruised down the street to the T/A for a delicious Italian BMT with double meat.  How did Consuela know that I like my bread cooked a little on the lighter side?  Good lookin' out, mi hermana.  Delicious.

I played some poker on my cell phone and waited to see what would come next.  I was #1 on the board when I sent in my empty call but it was afternoon, so I made no assumptions.  Had I gone far enough from Waco to escape the density of the black hole?  Only time would tell.

No.  I hadn't gone far enough.  Still circling the drain.  I was awakened from a nap after a few hours by the delightful chirp of the satellite unit.  Lubbock to Waco.  Son of a...  My pickup is tomorrow afternoon but I got the assignment early enough that I thought I would be able to find a parking space, so off to Lubbock I went.  No Bobby Knight and no Mike Leach anymore in this town, but I did find a place to put up my feet.  Good enough. 

After I get loaded and roll down to Waco tomorrow evening, I'm pretty sure that my week will be screwed (somewhere around $450 once I'm empty, with one day to go).  We all remember the infamous San Marcos affair (no offense Jerry).  And that was in a week when I was empty early on Friday with hours to burn.  My Friday hours will be mostly gone by the time I deliver tomorrow and I won't even have the 130-mile buffer working in my favor.  I'll be right at the center of this regional debacle.  That road trip to South Bend is only a month away and I really don't want to go home before then, but this shit is going to tempt me to employ the new 'Texas = Go Home' rule sooner rather than later.  We'll have to see how it plays out from here, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.