Sunday, December 27, 2009

12/27/09

Well I did my part, by golly. I was standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona. No sign of that girl in the flatbed Ford though, so I just ate my lunch and got back on the highway.

Another easy day of driving was certainly welcome. The temperature actually started to rise as I made the climb toward Flagstaff, reaching 40° at the top. Then it continued to rise as I came down the other side. By the time I got to Lake Havasu City and did my part to dodge California's onerous fuel prices topped off my fuel tanks, I had done plenty of driving for today. I decided to press on into California though, since a night of sleep without any idling trucks around me sounded pretty okay.

I got to the rest area outside Essex and found plenty of parking spaces open. Also, in a bit of a surprise, my Sprint card has broadband speed out here in the sticks. Guess I'll get to watch my Redskins lose after all.

Tomorrow's drive will most likely take me from here to the T/A in Ontario unless I come up with a bright idea regarding parking. My consignee in Brea doesn't allow overnight parking, so Ontario will probably have to suffice. Good enough. The 7am delivery on Tuesday is actually 10am for those of use from the civilized world (aka Eastern time). I'm sure I can manage the last 20 miles before then without too much difficulty.

2 comments:

  1. Probably too late for this but whenever i'm out in the Ontario/Fontana area, as I will be tonight, I stay in the Fontana Con-way yard. Its only like 3.5 miles away from the T/A there and right off the I-10.

    Little safer being in a secure yard in my opinion... i'm not fond of the T/A there and lord knows there isn't crap else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? The razor wires on the fence, the neverending disclaimers on the parking ticket, and the 'securitas' car cruising around don't convey a sense of safety to you?

    I was already rolling when you sent this one but I probably would have come to this Godforsaken T/A anyway. I don't keep food on my truck and a day of vending machine snacks at a Con-way yard sounds a little less than desirable.

    Looks like I might get to visit that place in Fontana tomorrow though, assuming that's where my next pickup is. It says 'Fontana' but I'm not sure exactly where yet.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.