Monday, December 28, 2009

12/28/09

Well, there were no Qualcomm messages to wake me this morning. One came through after I started driving, saying that three of our trucks crashed over the weekend, but I don't know when it was sent. If it was sent earlier, then my Qualcomm's power saving feature was a good thing. No, today it was a text message that woke me...


Apparently she had the camera sideways in order to capture the full splendor. That's the GM factory in Lordstown, Ohio. An old girlfriend of mine used to always complain that it was such an ugly color whenever we traveled down the turnpike. So now, whenever I drive past, I snap a picture and send it to her. Probably not quite as funny as it seems to me, but I guess it's one of those 'you had to be there' things. Turns out that she was crossing Ohio toward Michigan as I slept this morning.

I was able to nod off for another couple of hours before I got up and hit the road. The drive across I-40 and then down I-15 was uneventful. Just set the cruise at 55mph and roll along. I do wonder if you could coast all the way from Cajon Summit down to San Bernardino if you were the only one on the road. I think so.

The T/A in Ontario is split into two gigantic truck stops. I decided to hang a left and go to the one on the eastern side of the street so that I could make right turns in the morning, perhaps cutting out a few minutes of waiting. Then I was dismayed to see that only the one on the western side has a SubWay. I wasn't dismayed enough to leave here and go to the other one though. Burger King ain't so bad once in a while.

After heading down to Brea and making my delivery in the morning, I'll have a pretty fun day of bouncing around Southern California. My next planned load information came through this afternoon. I'm picking up in Fontana and making a short hop to deliver in Santa Ana. I have no idea what that's all about, but I suspect that someone left a loaded trailer at the Con-way yard before going home for Christmas or something. We'll find out soon enough. Then I have to shoot over to Carson and pick up a load going to El Paso, Texas. So at least I'll get a few miles and I'll be off the West Coast shortly after arriving. Can't complain about that. I've been stuck going up and down I-5 a few times and I don't like it.

Long afternoon to kill now. Guess I might as well fire up a few movies.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Joe. After reading your blog, I notice that you often watch sporting events live off the internet. What service do you use to do this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It depends on how involved you want to get, but there are two ways to go. First you can check channelsurfing.net, justin.tv, or ustream.tv. That works if you're just stuck somewhere and want to check out a game. Those feeds will play in your browser window.

    If you basically live on the road like I do, then it's best to visit myp2p.eu. That one lists actual standalone video feeds that play in a separate client. Different people use different clients, so you'd have to download a bunch of stuff, but they list damned near every sporting event under the sun on that site.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.