Wednesday, December 30, 2009

12/30/09

Erratic sleep patterns can occasionally come in handy. Given my tendency to toss and turn until 4am or 5am and then fall asleep for a few hours, I often find myself battling an early wake-up call until I get settled into my day. This time around, the timeline appears to have fit perfectly. I took off from Carson last night and cruised for a couple hundred miles. Then, right around 5am (Eastern time) it felt like I needed to go to bed for a while. I ducked into a rest area and slept for a few hours, then headed back out to the freeway. My natural sleep pattern turned out to be a perfect fit.

The nature of this trip across I-10 allowed for me to take a ten hour break in Avondale, Arizona this afternoon, where I was able to visit with some friends. Some folks from back home are down here visiting their retired parents, so that was a pretty cool coincidence. Then I was able to catch up with a local guy who had extended an invite quite some time ago, but the timing and routing had failed to materialize since then. Good deal all around, even if he did have to mock my Redskins for a minute.

Now, after my ten hour break is up, I can hit the road to El Paso and get there in the wee hours of the morning, right when I'll be ready for another round of sleep. Driving through the night should provide plenty of easy time with the cruise control engaged and light traffic around me. I'm taking this load to our drop yard so I won't have any customers with which to contend. I'll be able to drop my trailer and go right to bed. Beauty. I would say that I love it when a plan comes together, but this one really wasn't planned. Just sort of fell together when the shipper took so long yesterday.

And have no fear. There will be no distractions for me in my preparation for the trip. None of those pudgy engineering students here in Arizona. We're gonna miss you, Mike.

2 comments:

  1. Joe,

    It was good to meet you in person. Had a good time hope you enjoyed the mexican food. The Tigers don't play here this season but maybe one day we can catch a game at the ballpark.

    Thanks for your insight you shared. I like the straight approach. Anytime you are down the Phoenix way give a shout. Next time it's on me though.


    J.T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a deal. Fajitas and baseball are two things that I can never turn down.

    Thanks again for the hospitality.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.