Monday, November 2, 2009

11/2/09

I haven't decided yet, but there may be a problem here. I just made a purchase at the little truck stop where I'll be spending the night. In conducting that purchase, I used my debit card. So the flirtatious little lass behind the counter checked my identification. And here's where the problem (if there is one) arose. After a bit of back-and-forth banter she remarked, "I'm still older than you." I replied that I would surely catch up to her before long. She then pointed out that her birthday is in February and mine is in September, both of '76, so she's only a few months older. Dammit, dude. She's not a bad looking gal and all, but I would have sworn she was over 40. If I'm getting that old, we may have a problem. I don't intend to get too detailed here, but my last few encounters with the fairer sex did not involve anyone remotely close to this chick's age. If this means that I'm some kind of pervert, there may be a problem here.

Anyhow... that I-86 is a real doozy, eh? Holy smokes. For the first hundred miles or so, I could have sworn that I was on I-75 back home. I think a few of my teeth are still rattling. Further into New York the road smoothed out and I was able to notice that it was a pretty scenic drive. Of course all scenic drives are made better when you have an 800 pound payload in the wagon. Good old cruise control and good times.

I stopped in Kanona, New York to top off the fuel tanks around 3pm today. A quick review of my directory showed that the two truck stops there would be the last along the interstate on my route to Cortland. I wasn't satisfied with having driven 300 of the 400 miles though, so I continued onward. I decided to try the Citgo in Cayuta and then, if I didn't find any parking, continue on to Cortland and take my chances there. The place in Cayuta turned out to be A-OK. Despite the fact that it's out here in the sticks, I have broadband internet speed on my Sprint card and... wait for it... there's a SubWay. Yeah, things are going pretty swell at this point. I failed to mention it earlier but you probably could have guessed that I started after 10am today.

Tomorrow morning's drive will only be around 45 miles or so. I'll have to go through Ithaca on NY-13 though. I seem to recall having made that drive in the other direction once and having found it to be rather tedious. Then the rest of the drive to Cortland should be pretty basic. My consignee is a mountain resort that is building a new water park. I happen to have a few plastic water slides to contribute to the construction - hence the 800 pound payload. Hopefully there will be some kind of signage to direct me to the proper location, since my company-provided directions appear to have been pulled directly from Streets & Trips.

After I deliver tomorrow I'll be picking up another load in Cortland and taking it to Monroe Township, New Jersey. I received a pre-plan as I entered New York this afternoon. If that route sounds familiar to you, then I'm impressed. Seriously. It did ring a bell for me, but I still had to look it up. This here web log is useful for something every now and then, it turns out. Been there, done that, less than a month ago. Seems like a lot longer.

I'll be down to only a couple of available hours, at best, once I make my second delivery tomorrow. I'm going to get down there and then send in my hometime request, so everything should fall into place from that point. It looks like I'll be lucky enough to help my brother move into his new house since his closing paperwork has been delayed by a week or so. Timing is everything, as they say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.