Friday, July 31, 2009

7/31/09

Notwithstanding the fact that there are a disproportionate number of "birthers" down here, there is actually one pretty cool thing about the South. The chicks call me things like 'baby' or 'sweetie' quite often. Back home, I'm rarely referred to as anything other than 'dickhead.' That's nice.

The trip today could be summarized as follows: Rain, sun, rain, sun, rain, sun, rain, sun, rain... what? That's enough? Okay then. I was running southwestward on I-59 and there really isn't a whole lot of congestion on that route, so even the rain didn't make it too bad.

I did have one of those moments today when I absolutely love being a truck driver. I was somewhere out in the sticks when the call of nature rang out loud and clear. It was one of those calls that came on suddenly and wasn't going to be answered with a Gatorade bottle, if you catch my drift. The nearest truck stop was 20 miles away and there were no rest areas around. I held on as long as I could and then gave in, ducking off on some street that looked well-traveled and hoping for the best. I saw absolutely nothing for a mile or so and then spotted a little convenience store on the right side of the road. I pulled off and turned into their lot, having absolutely no idea how I would get back out. Getting out of their lot wasn't my concern at that point though. Getting into their restroom was. They had no restroom. Fuck. I managed to maintain my focus well enough to pull off some slick maneuvering around a utility pole and a parked car to get back to the main road. Another quarter mile down on the left, I spotted a bigger gas station/convenience store deal and handled my business. Man, I just love being a truck driver.

My hours today could have carried me almost all the way to Baton Rouge, but there aren't any parking options once you get pas Hammond, so Hammond it is. My last venture into this Petro was less than successful, but I had to stop and give it a shot anyway. Plenty of parking available today. Beauty. And the Tigers got Washburn from Seattle before the deadline, for a steal in my opinion. Beauty.

My ten hour break here will take me to 1am Central, when I'll have to hit the road right away ahead of a 7am delivery appointment in Dayton, Texas. Should I bitch about the rules for a while or just go to bed? I guess I'll just go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.