Thursday, February 19, 2009

2/19/09

Hey, good news. That repair that was supposed to take an hour and a half only took fifteen minutes. Of course it was supposed to start at 10am and it actually started at 2pm. Yeah, I know. Boo freaking hoo.

Once I was back in my truck I had to head back up to the ConWay yard in Atlanta and grab an empty trailer. Then I was #1 on the board and needed somewhere to park. Our Atlanta drop yard is maybe a mile from the ConWay yard, so I headed over there. I got backed into a parking spot and then received a message that I've never seen before. They needed me to go to the ConWay yard and do a yard check, writing down the numbers of all of our loaded and empty trailers on the property. For my trouble I would be paid $17.50. Fair enough. I drove back over there and spent about twenty minutes writing down trailer numbers. Once I was done I got my next assignment. Hey, right on time. How about that.

I will be picking up in Auburn, Goergia tomorrow and heading 906 miles to Benton, Texas for a Monday delivery. Some quick math then shows that this week will be... shitty. I guess that tends to happen when people hit your truck and you spend some time in the shop. C'est la vie.

I didn't see any really good options in terms of parking on my way to the shipper. My atlas shows a rest area on the northbound side of I-85 around mile 113. That was where I planned to stop. It's not there. Since the traffic was going around 10mph at the time, I was able to grab my truck stop directory and take a look for another option. Shit. Pilot in Braselton, really? That place is a mess and there are never any parking spaces. It was my only option though as I continued northward. I pulled in and found no open parking spaces. Shocking.

So then I headed south toward the shipper and figured that I would try to find a spot to hole up in the industrial park. I got down to GA-316 and headed back westward toward Auburn. I seem to have missed my turn off of GA-316 or something. I don't know. What the hell ever. I was getting good and aggravated at that point and the sun had gone down. It was just time to get off the road. How do they say it? 'Any port in a storm?' Yeah, that's about where I was tonight. I knew that I have stayed at a rest area on I-85 southbound before. I caught GA-20 up to I-85 southbound and grabbed a parking spot for the night. Driving aimlessly in circles for an hour isn't exactly the greatest thrill in the world, but I guess it has been a while since the last time I did so. Whatever.

I pick up at noon tomorrow, about 25 miles from here, so I'll be able to get a nice night's sleep... maybe.

The recent video and comment exchange concerning that wannabe economist chick seems to have knocked me off my bearings for a moment or two. Luckily my mother sent me this one in an e-mail today. I'm back on track now. To hell with Valentine's Day.

2 comments:

  1. See,water is good for you!! {laughing} Your a sick unit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't hate me because clarity has been restored. (I bought a case of water this morning.)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.