Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11/08

Ahh yes, bumpy roads and rattling teeth. I must be home. The leftover hours from my 11 got me past Indianapolis this morning, then I slept like a baby for my two hours to complete the split. The trip across the two lane US-24 to Toledo went unusually quickly and here we are.

So, seven years eh? I don't have anything clever to add to what you'll already hear on every TV show and radio show today. I know that my sense of anger toward those animals hasn't waned over the past seven years though. In a sense, I guess that makes me an intolerant moron full of phony patriotism, at least according to what the people on TV tell me. I don't need to understand the savages. I don't need to appreciate their views. There are 30,000 Muslims in the town right next to me and they seem to be getting along just fine with America. The ones who would kill innocent people deserve whatever hell we can unleash upon them.

So as we look at the path that we as individuals in this country have followed, I suppose that there's no reason to be surprised. First we were all shocked and "together." Then we were "resolved." Then some years went by and we faded back into our usual way of life and did away with the pretense that more than half of us can ever agree on much of anything. I guess this part, twisted as it may sound, is the most impressive to me. It's not impressive that we still tend to think less of each other when we disagree. I would prefer that this was not the case. What impresses me is that thousands of people, day after day and without recognition for 364 days a year, have allowed us to be this way. I never go into a day wondering if this is the next 9/11. There's something to be said for that, and I don't suppose I'm quite able to find the words.

When I look at the world in which we live, it should be alarming that the NYPD does more to combat terrorism than most national governments do. Think about that one for a minute. In reality though, it's not surprising at all. When I read a recent poll that shows a minority of people outside our country believing that we were attacked by Al Qaeda seven years ago, I know all that I need to know. Against this background, you'll have to excuse me if I can't manage to give a rat's ass what the rest of the world thinks of our politics and our policies. On our worst day, we are immeasurably more blessed than anyone who has not been fortunate enough to live in the United States. A sincere thanks to all of you who have made this possible.

2 comments:

  1. You must mean Dearborn...The land that whitey forgot...Ask your dad about Former Mayor Orville Hubbard..He "kept Dearborn clean"..
    That was written on all squad cars in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am familar with Mayor Hubbard's reputation. Apparently he and I have differing definitions of the word "clean." In case my point wasn't clear, the Arabs who are working in my neighborhood are not all that different from the generations who came before. There was a time when the Irish were the "unclean" race, and that was wrong too.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.