Monday, August 11, 2008

8/11/08

Damn those Russkies. How am I supposed to get one of those mail order brides when they're trying to provoke another World War? The KGB would never let me visit in those circumstances.

Well, on balance a decent day I guess. I woke up and kicked the tires. Then the damn jumprope made its reappearance. You know how long you can jump quickly when you're fat and lazy? One minute. No kidding. Guess we'll try to add twenty seconds a day for a while and see what's what. I tried slowing down the pace once I got winded but I kept stepping on the rope.

I rolled down through Indiana and into Ohio this morning. Since I couldn't arrive more than an hour early, I stopped at a truck stop north of Cincinnati and hung out for a while. When it was time to roll again, I promptly made a wrong turn and went north on I-75. That part is just me being the typical dummy that I am. I didn't realize it for about ten miles though. That part is me being a full-on retard. Good thing I was shooting for that hour early.

So I got down there and checked in. They gave me a dock, I backed in, and they took my keys. The rules were that the truck had to be shut off with the keys in the dockworker's possession or the truck had to be disconnected from the trailer. Screw it. It was a beautiful evening. Why bother dropping the trailer? Of course, the other five trucks at the docks were all disconnected and idling. Whatever man. I don't buy the fuel.

Those guys took their sweet ass time getting me unloaded but I had already received a pre-plan earlier in the day so it didn't bother me much. They were also extremely polite, which I find refreshing. The pre-plan gave me a direction to head whenever I left the customer. I would have to find somewhere to park for the night and, whichever way I went, it was going to be quite a way from my customer. I know that I'm picking up in Kentucky tomorrow, so this time I actually managed to head south on the first try. I know. I'm a professional. What can I say?

Getting empty so late into the evening, I knew that parking would be at a premium. I had enough hours on my 14 to get all the way to the next shipper but their parking policy isn't included in my directions. Sometimes I roll the dice and see what happens. This time though, I pulled in at the Kentucky welcome center. This place is pretty big and there are usually enough people coming and going to leave a few empty spaces. Tonight was no exception.

I pick up at 10am tomorrow in Harrodsburg and then head back north. Given the extremely pleasant pre-autumnal temperatures in the upper midwest over the last few days, I'm glad I'm not going south. There's a second pickup in Indiana tomorrow afternoon and then a drop the following morning outside Chicago.

Okay man, if this video doesn't make you smile, then you just plain suck. Regardless of your particular political leanings, this dude knocked one out of the park. That must have taken some serious time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.