Saturday, October 16, 2010

10/16/10

The key questions in life are often quite simple.  Today's question - good pop or bad pop?

After either a late lunch or an early dinner with my parents, depending on one's perspective, it was time for me to head to work.  My Irish weren't exactly setting the world on fire but I was content that they would have the game in hand.  Then I had a few chances to check out the second half on my FloTV while I was working.  Decent enough performance overall.

By the time I wrapped up a quick and easy shift, I had to take stock of my injury situation and decide how to approach tonight's workout.  That cramping in my calf muscle was still pretty intense, but I decided to go ahead with my full regimen anyway.  The cardio work was a little painful but I made it through.  The weight training was solid, as I expected that it would be.  This was my first chest workout since the brief hiatus at the end of last week.  With the extra rest and recovery time, my manboobs were pretty strong.

I was feeling pretty shitty by the time I got down the steps and into the locker room.  Whatever comfort I had received from working up a good sweat was quick to disappear once I had stopped.  The calf cramp was really bad, my thigh was mostly numb, and I still couldn't feel my foot.  The warm water in the shower seemed to provide some small amount of relief though, so I lingered a little longer than usual.  Then I got a bright idea.

There's a metal hand rail attached to the wall in each shower at my gym.  I don't know if it's one of those handicapped deals or whatever, but the metal hand rails are quite thick and sturdy.  I grabbed the rail with both hands and started to twist my torso as far as I could.  It didn't take long before I felt the tension starting to stretch my lower back.  I kept pulling.  Then I felt a quick jolt of pain in my ass.  The pain was gone almost immediately though.  I kept pulling.  Then something popped.  Oh shit... was that a good pop or a bad pop?

On the good side of the ledger - I started to feel my foot and my thigh again for a little while.  On the bad side of the ledger - what I felt was mostly pain.  There was a weird progression that followed.  My toes felt like they were on fire.  Then that went away and my back started to hurt.  Then that went away and the numbness returned to my leg and foot, but less than they had been before.  Then my hamstring started to hurt a little bit, while the cramping in my calf eased a little bit.

I've been back home for a little while now and it appears that today's question won't be answered just yet.  I'm feeling pretty similar to how I felt this morning, so maybe that pop was nothing.  Or maybe I injured myself further and I'll be sorry in the morning.  There's always hope though, right?  Maybe I accidentally popped my spine back into alignment and the symptoms will start to recede.  I suspect that we'll know a little more by the time I sit down to write tomorrow's post.

Flint, Mount Morris, and Essexville - be on notice.  I expect no shenanigans from you people tomorrow.  My shift starts at noon and my Redskins are playing at night.  I would like to be finished working in time to catch most of the game at a local establishment of my choosing.  You've been warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.