Wednesday, April 28, 2010

4/28/10

Do you remember the scene in the movie Airplane! when the guy said that he picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue?  I think I picked the wrong day to start lifting weights again.  It had to happen, obviously, but the timing certainly hasn't been ideal.  Trying to fight the wind across I-40 for ten hours when you feel like there are knives piercing your shoulders every time they move is quite difficult.  Quite difficult indeed.  Since I did a fairly thorough workout on Monday, today was Day #2 of the aftermath.  That's always the worst one.  Bummer.

I managed to knock out another 580 miles or so, through Oklahoma and Texas and into New Mexico.  From here I'll have somewhere over 500 miles left to Phoenix.  The pain will subside a little tomorrow, which is a good thing.  Then tomorrow night will bring another workout and we'll have to see where that leads.  Slowly but surely things should improve.  It's gonna be a rough 'slowly but surely' though.  I wish I could buy into the Wall Street Journal's take on things.  Unfortunately, I think I believe that Brazilian dude a little more.

As I was rolling across the Texas panhandle this afternoon, I received a pre-plan for my next assignment.  That's always a pleasant surprise when my delivery is still two days away.  It was another decent run too - picking up on Friday in Nogales and heading to Missouri.  Then, five minutes later, the load was unassigned.  "Wrong load," the message said.  Apparently there was no 'right load' since I never got another pre-plan.  Bummer.

At least the little outpost where I've stopped for the night was still open when I arrived.  I rolled in at 6:45pm locally and headed inside to grab something to eat and drink.  As I sat down to enjoy my dinner, they shut off the TV and locked the doors.  It turns out that they close at 7pm.  This probably makes some sense since I'm out in the middle of nowhere.  Probably not a lot of 24-hour action in this neck of the woods.  I was just glad I didn't start driving ten minutes later this morning.  Small victories, my friends.  Small victories.

3 comments:

  1. You're aware of the irony in your comment, right?

    (And blog stalking is even more adorable than message board stalking. Thanks.)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.