Friday, February 12, 2010

2/12/10

Well, they didn't send me back up to Waco for another regional load. And, uh, they didn't send me to Laredo for tires or anything like that. And, uh, hmm, actually they didn't send me anywhere. How 'bout them apples?

After a quick unloading this morning in La Grange, I made the easy drive over to San Marcos. The loading dock at that stop was a little tricky to access, but this is what I do for a living and all. Once I was empty, I pulled off to the side of the alley to see what would come next. After an hour or so, seeing that nothing was forthcoming, I fell back on a little bit of local knowledge.

Believe it or not, I am not a big fan of I-35 in Austin. So, whenever I manage to fight my way through there en route to Laredo, I often feel the need to get off the road for a little while and let my frustration subside before taking on San Antonio. The standard Fenian Godfather playbook involves a break at the McDonald's in San Marcos. They have a few truck parking spaces and there usually aren't any other trucks around. As luck would have it, today's second delivery took place right down the street from that McDonald's. So I scooted over and had some lunch.

Since I was #1 on the board, I didn't think that I would be waiting much longer. After taking a nice long nap and burning some new audiobooks onto CD's, I still had not received a new assignment and it was time for dinner. As the night wore on and I never moved from #1 on the board, I started to suspect that I'm #1 in a nominal sense but probably behind a bunch of people in Laredo in a practical sense. Or maybe there's just no freight. I don't know.

I can't say that I was terribly broken up about having what amounted to a day off. I think it has been around six weeks since I left home and there have been some pretty busy stretches, so a chance to recharge the batteries isn't so bad. If I'm still sitting here tomorrow, maybe the discussion will be a little different. For now though, just kickin' it in San Marcos. I've been here for ten hours, so at least I'm legal to drive to a new hiding place if they decide to kick me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.