Wednesday, February 10, 2010

2/10/10

I knew that yesterday's favorable dispatch had to be a sign of some sort, but I wasn't quite sure what it was. Then, today, I heard a report on the radio about the home of some of the world's worst people. And it occurred to me - Hell has frozen over.


That explains that.

I did manage to doze off early last night, so that was nice. Then I was up for a while early in the morning. Then back to bed for a couple more hours. Finally, feeling like my jolly old self again, I proceeded to hit the road... right in the middle of Memphis' morning rush. Damn. Didn't think about that part. Once I got into Arkansas though, everything went smoothly. I made a quick stop at our terminal in West Memphis for some 'go juice,' as the pros like to call it, and then broke the rest of the drive into segments.

I drove to Gurdon and stopped for an hour. Then I drove into Texas and stopped in Royse City for an hour. The plan, to whatever extent there was a plan, was to let the traffic in Dallas work itself out before I got there. I was hoping to avoid a repeat of the Memphis situation. My timing was pretty good in that respect. There's always traffic around Dallas, of course, but it was light enough that I didn't get slowed down too much.

After arriving at my consignee, I made a nice and easy drop and then drove over to look for my "suggested" empty. They always send a message telling us which trailer has been at the customer for the longest time, ostensibly to keep all of the trailers moving to some extent. The last time I followed the suggestion, it didn't go so well. I haven't refined the theory yet, but I tend to think that the trailers that are at a customer's location for the longest time are there for a reason - namely that some of my coworkers prefer to leave the problematic equipment for the next driver. Then the next driver leaves it, then the next one, and so on. The computer system keeps telling someone to take the faulty trailer and the faulty trailer keeps getting left behind.

This time around I got a pretty decent trailer. It was missing one of the rubber seals on the gladhand for the air lines though. I usually carry a handful of those with me, on account of the fact that I'm always getting trailers with bad seals, but tonight it seems that I was all out. So I had to steal one from the trailer next to mine. And now, when the next guy shows up to take that one, I will have been part of the cycle described in the previous paragraph. Someone left me a problem and I passed it on to the next driver... Oh well, I really did intend to handle it on my own. Just ran out of rubbers. Err... nevermind.

The directions to my consignee said in big bold letters that they don't allow overnight parking. I don't know if that's accurate or not, but if so then it's really stupid. They have a massive yard and 90% of the trailers in the yard are ours. It wouldn't hurt anyone for us to hook to an empty and go to bed. The 'no parking' deal is particularly annoying on account of the fact that my next load will almost certainly be picking up at the same place. I hung around for 45 minutes after hooking to my empty, hoping to get my next assignment and take it from there. I started at #2 and, after the 45 minutes, I was still #2.

Not wanting to wake in the middle of the night to someone banging on the door and kicking me out of the yard, I left and drove three miles to the Pilot in Robinson. Given that it was late at night, I fully expected to find a full lot and then proceed further down I-35 to the little truck stop in Eddy. Much to my surprise, I found a nice easy parking space along the back row at the Pilot. Hell has indeed frozen over.

My 14 hour clock was just about gone so I went ahead and took myself off the board for the night, just in case they're tempted to try any dispatching shenanigans. Since I'm theoretically still at the customer in Waco, as far as the computer system is concerned, they could send me an assignment picking up at the same place without breaking any laws. I'm not about to give up my cozy parking space and drive over there, only to have to come right back and find that my luck has run out. I'll just get back on the board after ten hours and see what follows next.

An interesting side note: The people begging for money at truck stops almost invariably tell some sort of story about how they need gas money for one reason or another. I tell them (quite honestly, in fact) that I don't carry cash when I'm on the road. I used to pay for everything with my American Express card. Then, after they unceremoniously dumped me, I started paying for everything with my debit card. Anyhow, I always have a little money in the bank and I've run out of gas before, so I'm certainly not above helping someone out. It's a fairly safe assumption that anyone knocking on doors at a truck stop is full of shit, but you never know. So, after explaining that I don't carry cash, I usually offer to walk over to the gas pump and put ten bucks on my card. Probably fifty times over the last few years. Not a single taker. Yeah, it happened again tonight. That's why you got this little bonus commentary. I guess there's no real significance to it, but I find it intriguing.

2 comments:

  1. Joe,

    Your bonus commentary brings something to mind. While it’s a sad commentary on people that try to get money with a B.S. story it says a lot about anyone that is willing to actually give to others in need. This is something that America is about. Those that have being willing to help those that have a need.

    Now if congress and our president could apply the same logic that you did where would we be? But instead someone knocks on the door and not only do we give them money but well find anyone else that is near the door at the same time and give them some. The need is never really verified.

    With this in mind I have a suggestion. I believe in two years someone that is known to write “Your daily dose of brilliant insight... or something to that effect.” turns 35 making the eligible age to run for the office of Commander and Chief. With the support of the Fenian Godfather Inc. this individual would have an advantage over any candidate.

    What am I saying? “Sjoe for President”

    Oh dang, forgot the individual has to be a native born citizen of the United States.

    Have a good day.
    J.T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Swede is good for nothing but trouble, notwithstanding his immigration status. As for me, I would be the worst president evah.

    I can only picture various conversations with my ex-wife when we were both very young. They would go something along the lines of, "Tough shit, we're broke. You're just gonna have to do without." Approval rating in the single digits, I can assure you.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.