Thursday, February 11, 2010

2/11/10

When Nancy Pelosi said that I was unpatriotic last year, it didn't bother me. After all, I think she's certifiably insane. And when Harry Reid said that I was unpatriotic, it didn't bother me. After all, I don't think he's smart enough to tie his own shoes. And when David Axelrod said that I was unpatriotic, I didn't bat an eye. After all, I think he's merely spending a few years trying to destroy the earth before returning to the netherworld. I take any insult, coming from that trio, as a compliment. But Bill Nye, the science guy? Say it ain't so. The guy who taught me how to crush a gas can with a drop of water? Now it is I whom you have crushed, Mr. non-climatologist. Now it is I.



Speaking of the weather, it pretty much sucks this year, doesn't it? Good grief, man. Every freaking day. The silver lining for today, to whatever extent there is one, is that I got to head southward instead of northward. As badly as Texans drive in the rain, I don't think I would like to share the road with them in the snow.

I had my alarm set to go off at 7:45am local time, exactly ten hours after I finished working last night. At 7:30am I received a satellite message from my fleet manager, asking when I would be back on duty. Story of life. So I put myself on the board and sent a note saying that I needed to stay put for another fifteen minutes. I was #7 on the board though, so the fifteen minutes turned out to be a non-issue.

At some point later in the morning I received my new assignment. Not surprisingly, I was picking up at the same distribution center where I delivered the previous load. My pickup time was set for 5pm, so I stayed at the truck stop until around 1pm and then headed over. The loads at that place are usually ready early and I was hoping to get in and out quickly. This time I got to hang around in the waiting room and listen to bullshit trucker stories for an hour or so, but I still was off and running before 5pm. Not too bad.

As tends to be the case when one ends up in this vortex of Texas regional freight, I got a whopping 139 miles for today. Not exactly a big money maker, but at least it wasn't 139 miles in the other direction. I hopped on US-77 out of Waco and ran it down to the consignee in La Grange, where I find myself parked for the evening. I was pleasantly surprised to find that US-77 was fairly open and uncongested, even in the rain. Compared to that driveway to Hell that can be found a few miles to the west, today's route was a beauty.

After I get unloaded here in the morning, I'll have a short hop over to San Marcos to make my second delivery. After that the odds would suggest that they'll probably run me back up to Waco to do it all again tomorrow. No sign just yet that I'm headed to Laredo for new tires, but we'll see how the weekend plays out. Maybe they have something up their sleeves or maybe that road service guy was full of shit when he said he was flagging my truck for repairs. I've learned not to be terribly surprised either way. It would be kinda cool to get the tire thing resolved soon so that I can start working my way toward home though. I don't have a specific date in mind but I would like to take a few days off before the month is through.

Bill Nye? Damn.

2 comments:

  1. I never said you were unpatriotic. I said you did not love Mom, Apple Pie, or Baseball. Or Chevrolet. I suppose that could be considered unpatriotic, but I'm not going to stop eating live puppies long enough to find out.

    Besides, all I really want to do is control your access to some basic things, like healthcare, and freedom. That's not too much to ask for is it? A girl's gotta dream....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say that it's an honor to hear from you, Madame Speaker, but... well... you know...

    I've got swastikas to carry and so forth, but thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.