Sunday, November 29, 2009

11/29/09

Compared to sitting around and watching football for the last two days, this driving thing kinda sucks. I'm pretty sure that I would be a better analyst than most of those guys on ESPN too. Maybe I should give them a call and see if they want to sign me to a long-term deal. Yeah, probably not. Guess I'll have to keep my day job.

I got rolling late in the morning and, within two hours, it was time for a nap. It's weird how that goes sometimes. Once I'm in the flow of things, I'm usually good for seven or eight hours. After a couple of days off, I get tired in no time. An hour of sleep did the trick though. Back to the highway.

As I approached the exit from the Indiana Toll Road to I-80/94, I saw one of those message boards with the amber lights. It said that traffic to Chicago should take I-90 in order to avoid delays. I had been planning to take I-80 to I-294, but the traffic was backed up all the way down the ramp so I thought maybe the advice on the message board was good. A mile further down I-90, traffic came to a dead stop. Shit. I got hoodwinked. After idling along in first gear for a few miles, I hopped off on I-65 and dropped back down to I-80. The traffic was heavy but it was flowing smoothly, so I have no idea what that message was all about.

The rest of the drive was nice and easy. No construction or slow traffic or any of that. Just a steady ride with the cruise control engaged and a good audio book on the radio. Upon arriving at the consignee in De Forest, I went for a walk to see where would be the best place to park. My directions say that I'm going to one address while the bill of lading lists the address of a neighboring building. The building indicated on the bill of lading appears to be vacant, so that's where I'm parked. With a 6am delivery I would prefer to sleep until at least 5:30am. The last time I had such a schedule, the workers started showing up at 4am and I had to move. I don't think I'm blocking anyone's parking space over here. Should be all good.

This little weekend respite should leave me in good shape to make a few bucks over the next couple of weeks. Today only used 7.75 hours out of my fresh 70, so I have plenty to burn going into next week. Mom's little Christmas vacation deal is set for the 18th through the 21st, so I'll be putting in my request for home time before too much longer. It would be nice to pad the bank account a little before then.

2 comments:

  1. 18th - 21st? So... they should have you there at 2200 on the 21st or 0530am on the 22nd! At least thats how it works for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Far more likely that I'll be home on the 14th or 15th, after sending my request on the 11th. That's the usual routine for me. Living five miles from a terminal probably has something to do with it.

    The one time that I did get home late was at the same time last year though.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.