Monday, November 30, 2009

11/30/09

Compared to sitting around and trying to sort out Notre Dame coaching rumors all day, this driving thing is kinda cool. It's almost like nobody learned anything the last time around when Urban Meyer left us standing at the altar. People just need to chill out and give the process some time.

In stark contrast to the tea leaf reading among the college football fans, the day's work turned out to be quite productive. As I sat at the dock getting unloaded this morning, I received my next assignment. Once I was empty I had a nice easy drive up I-94 for a pickup in Eau Claire. The shippers worked quickly and then I was on my way over to I-35 and down into Iowa for a delivery in Chariton tomorrow morning. Just before I reached Des Moines, I received another assignment so things seem to be going pretty smoothly indeed.

My delivery appointment was for 7am tomorrow and my directions said that the consignee had overnight parking so I headed straight there. When I checked in with the security guard, she sent me to a door and said that they would unload me tonight. Well alrighty then. By the time the unloading was done though, my 14 hour clock had expired. The only issue was that the receiving guy said I would have to drive down the street to a local truck stop in order to park for the night. I guess we'll have to operate on the premise that I was using my unladen vehicle to drive to an en route meal/lodging stop, therefore I was legally allowed to be off duty for the half mile drive. Good enough for me.

Tomorrow will be another busy one from the look of things. I have a drop/hook in Pella and then I'll be headed to Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan for two drops and a relay. The last stop is in Canada (where I can't go) so I suppose I might be spending Wednesday night at home, unless there's a quick assignment once I get to Taylor in the afternoon. Time will tell how that part of the deal plays out, but the miles are looking good thus far. Today's total was 543 miles. Tomorrow morning's deadhead is 53 miles. Then the loaded legs of the trip are 406, 148, and 57 miles. Adding in the extra $70 in stop pay and with half the week still to come, I have no complaints.

I could have sworn that the forecast said I was headed for bad things yesterday and today. There was a little bit of drizzle as I went from Ohio to Indiana. Otherwise I've seen nothing but sunshine. Once again, I have no complaints. And just for good measure, I don't have to make my drop/hook until 11am tomorrow. It's 53 miles from here so I get at least a one-day break from the blue-hair schedule that I've bee keeping. I'll get back to complaining soon enough though. Wednesday's first drop is scheduled for a rather unpleasant 6am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.