Thursday, December 3, 2009

12/3/09

Has it ever occurred to the people who run local and county governments that the money they save by not plowing and salting the freeways in a timely manner is more than wasted by sending police, tow trucks, and ambulances to handle the numerous crashes that result from their negligence? The answer is no. It has not occurred to them. I just can't wait to get me some of that government health care though. I'll bet it's gonna be super efficient, timely, and effective.

Things were rolling along pretty nicely for the most part today. I got past the Chicago area before the traffic got too heavy and then stopped at the service plaza in Belvidere for a late lunch or early dinner or whatever. As I sat and looked out the window, a pretty heavy snowstorm blew through. By the time I was done eating, it was gone. Beauty.

Once I got into Wisconsin and passed Beloit, the traffic on the freeway came to a dead stop. Then the rate of travel over the next several miles varied between 2mph and 10mph. We were driving into a light snowfall and there was a little bit of accumulation in some spots. Count 'em up - 1, 2, 3, 4 accidents over the next twenty miles. Just brilliant. Hopefully nobody died this time around. I've seen some severe carnage on previous trips through this state. I swear I don't understand it.

Once I got through Madison the roads dried out for the most part and I was able to put my foot to the floor for a while. My only objective for today was to cover at least 500 miles, so once I saw that there was a truck stop in New Lisbon I pulled off the road and called it a night. 499 miles, all told. Close enough. I should have a little over 200 miles to go from here. Hopefully there won't be a whole lot of snow overnight or in the morning, but I'll take off a little early just in case. It's always good to make sure I have a buffer. We know damn well that they won't have the freeway plowed and salted if the weather does get bad tonight.

Pretty good football game going on in Oregon right now, for those of you who are into that sort of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.