Saturday, September 19, 2009

9/19/09

Believe it or not, I actually had something of a strategy concerning this weekend's return to work. If all went according to plan, I would get on the board this morning, receive an assignment this afternoon, hang around today and watch football, then leave town tomorrow. I do love it when a plan comes together.

After a few hours of sleep following my trek home in the wee hours of the morning, I had to get up and call the terminal to put myself on the board. The dispatcher said that I was #12 and might as well stay home for a while. Beauty. First part of the plan complete.

My roommate borrowed my car to go to South Bend this morning, so I was just planning on hanging around the apartment unless and until I received a load assignment. Then I would have to call someone to give me a ride to work. My mother called at some point to see if I had made it out of town yet. No, still here. She had gone to the office for a few hours, so she swung by and picked me up on her way home from work. At her house, you see, they have this fancy newfangled service called 'cable TV' hooked up. All the better for watching football and baseball and such. Second part of the plan complete.

The Tigers shit the bed once again, but the Irish did manage to win a home game against those agricultural students from Lansing for a change. Fair enough. I got my assignment during the second half of the Notre Dame game, so I called the terminal to see what was what. I was assigned to pick up a load sitting on the yard and deliver it in Traverse City on Monday morning. Beauty. Third part of the plan complete.

I hung around and watched some more football for a while, then headed back home to spend the night. Apparently my car and its driver haven't returned to Michigan yet, so I'll have to see what is the story when I wake tomorrow. I'm thinking that I'll head up the road for a few hours tomorrow evening and then finish the trip on Monday morning. Someone's gonna have to get me to the terminal one way or another.

2 comments:

  1. Nick Saban is an emissary of God. Verily I say unto thee, follow the TRUE path of righteousness or suffer eternal damnation. Roll Tide.


    p.s. If Mephistopholes asks, you haven't seen me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go ahead and make deals with the devil until your heart's content. (There are some at that agricultural school in Lansing who actually do believe that he's the devil, by the way.)

    The word 'Faust' has other connotations among the followers of Our Lady's undeniable message of truth and virtue. Given the calls for a coaching change every time we lose, I'll set that one aside for now.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.