Tuesday, September 15, 2009

9/15/09

Despite it's propensity for dumbing down the culture and allowing text messages to replace actual conversation, technology can be pretty cool sometimes. I've had this monstrosity of a CD changer for years and years. It holds 200 discs in a carousel and spits out whichever track you want. The trouble is that it's freaking huge. The other trouble is that you have to look through a catalog of disc jackets to find the track numbers of the songs that you want. The other trouble is that it stopped working a long time ago and I never felt like paying to get it fixed.

Before I headed home last week, I placed an order for a couple of hard drives. One is a big 1 TB daddy that has to be plugged in. That one will now be populated with backup images of my hard drive whenever I come home. In case of a repeat of the infamous May 30 affair, I would prefer not to have to go back to the factory image and then re-download all of my programs again. I can, however, handle getting by with the factory settings until I pop into Chez Godfather for a re-image. On the truck though, I have no consistent power supply to run such a big drive. Therefore I also grabbed a nice 300 GB model that is powered through the USB port. That one, at a tidy 3"x5", will now replace my monstrosity of a CD changer. And it was only something like seventy bucks. Beauty.

I'm into what I guess we would call my vacation week now, since I plan to toss my second week of extra pay for the year on this check. I'm not due on the board until Saturday morning, so it's plenty tempting to lie around and do nothing for a few more days. I did manage to drag my ass out and do some running around today though, in an effort not to leave too much for the last day at home. Tomorrow is shaping up to be another busy one, from the looks of things. And Friday... Ah well, when you're a dickhead like I am, you probably shouldn't complain too loudly about social engagements. Might come back to town one of these times and find that everyone forgot about me.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some music ripping to do.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, we'll be there with or without you on Friday night!! If you need to rest your pretty pretty princess ass before going on the board...we understand! ;-) And regardless I would never forget you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the beauty sleep that gets interrupted in the morning that does the real damage, you know.

    I still can't figure out if I just got insulted here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I was calling with the chance to go to the game. Would you have rathered I asked someone else?

    No insult...just teasin ya!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.