Wednesday, August 12, 2009

8/12/09

Is it possible to approach a town called Menomonie without thinking of The Muppet Show? I think not.


After making my drop/hook, I found myself on the board at #1. That's usually a good start. Unfortunately though, there was no assignment forthcoming. There was a truck stop around the corner from my consignee, so I parked and kicked back to relax for a while. At some point during the afternoon, I stepped forward from the bunk to change the channel on my radio. I saw that there was a dude in a car stopped in front of my truck. You don't tend to see that every day in the truck parking area, but I didn't think much of it. Maybe a driver was being dropped off or picked up from time at home or something. Then the fella held up a camera and took a picture of my truck. Okay, now that's a little weird. I'm not quite sure what to make of that one.

Around 6:30pm, I finally got a new assignment. My next pickup will be tomorrow morning in Antigo and the run will take me to the Cleveland area. Pretty decent miles overall, but I had to make a quick decision on how to handle the scheduling. There's always an element of uncertainty in giving up a parking space late in the day. On the other hand, getting out of bed early enough to cover 160 miles by 9am is not really my style. I decided to hit the road and then let the parking sort itself out as I went along. As the evening wore on, I rolled the dice and passed on several truck stops along WI-29. I was hoping to catch a break at the BP in Wausau. There were only a couple of spots open when I got here, but one is all I need. Beauty.

I can't, for the life of me, figure out how my Tigers are still in first place. They are though, for now...

3 comments:

  1. The Tigers this year remind me of the 06 team, lose to all the good teams and feast on the weaker ones. All it takes is to get to the post season, then I'll put our top 3 starters against any others in a short series. Only problem is they are gonna have to win the division, no sliding in the back door of the wild card this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of guys take pics of trucks. There is web site called Hanks truck pictures full of truck pics and updated daily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no theories for the Tigers this year. I think they just can't hit. I do, however, have a theory on the photo op. This one is good...

    It's no secret that I take an occasional sarcastic jab at the president on my blog here. So... someone sees it and sends an e-mail to flag@whitehouse.gov, right? Then, from the millions of snitch e-mails, they have to pick someone to punish harshly. I happen to hate the Chicago White Sox almost as much as I hate an intrusive federal government. Plus I made fun of the president for throwing like a girl with his White Sox jacket on. Bingo. I'm a prime candidate.

    So Holder and Panetta get together on a plan. First they have a G-man from the Milwaukee field office head up north. I had mentioned the day before that I was heading to Menomonie, right? So they had a pretty decent idea where to look. Plus, even if they didn't see that post, they probably used the Patriot Act to implant me with a tracking device back when Ashcroft was around.

    So now the FBI is in the process of compiling a detailed target profile. Don't want to misidentify the truck on this mission. Then it gets handed off to the CIA... The next time I'm way up there in New York where the Predator drones are flying, BAM! A hellfire missile takes me out.

    Now they need a plausible justification. A front page story shows up in the New York Times telling about my buddies Nasim and Mohammed. Their party store, the paper says, is not actually a party store. It's really a fundraising front for a Yemeni jihadist outfit. They were planning to load a trailer full of C-4 and send me into Manhattan. The thousands of dollars that appear on my American Express statements over the years, being paid to the party store, were clearly contributions to the effort. I always claimed that I was buying beer there, but everyone knew that I was actually a teetotaler. My death was justifiable for national defense, obviously.

    (I never heard of that Hank's thing before though. I guess that might make more sense than my theory.)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.