Saturday, July 11, 2009

7/11/09

Is it football season yet? These long Saturdays on the road are a freaking drag at this time of year. I'm back on my boycott of political talk radio and the news is generally worthless on the weekend anyway. The hosts on the other channels all suck on the weekend, which is likely why they're stuck working weekends. Oy. Long, boring day. I had to take a nap about halfway through, and I wasn't even tired, just to break things up a little bit.

I was also disappointed to see that my eleven hours of driving didn't even get me out of New Mexico. I looked at my map before I left Kettleman City to see which way I was going, but I guess I didn't really give it much thought beyond that. I would have suspected that a full day would get me to Amarillo or something. Nope. San Jon it is. I managed to knock out 680 miles despite the fact that half of New Mexico is under construction, so I guess that ain't so bad.

My pay week wraps up with a tidy 3,872 miles. It wouldn't have killed anyone to get me an extra stop or something to kick it over $1,500, would it? Obviously I'm not complaining though. I don't seem to remember the month of July being a very profitable one for me in years past. The first part of this month is going quite nicely. I decided to sit on my vacation pay for at least another week since this week's pay is already on the high side. I usually prefer to collect my vacation pay as soon as possible each year when it comes around. If I crash my truck tomorrow and get fired, I would hate to leave a couple thousand bucks on the table. The tax withholding is already going to be a whopper this week though. Adding in the vacation pay would dramatically increase the percentage that gets loaned interest-free to the feds until next year. Guess I'll just have to stay employed a little longer.

My chances of getting to my final destination before Monday's hours run out aren't looking too good. I think I'll run a full day tomorrow anyway and take stock of where I stand at that point. Even if I have to finish out on Tuesday morning, it will be best to get my remaining hours used up as quickly as possible so I can take a ten hour break Monday Evening, before 12am Tuesday rolls around and the all-knowing feds decide that I'm rested enough to drive again. Idiots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.