Tuesday, July 7, 2009

7/7/09

A proud day for all Minnesotans, I'm sure. Really though, why not? What's one more clown out of 535? Congratulations, Senator Franken. Best of luck to you.

Allowing for the fact that the low speed limit tacked on an hour to my day (compared to the usual 65mph pace), I have to say that things went rather smoothly. I hit Pasadena right at noon so the traffic in that area was about as light as it will get. Then I was up well past Grapevine before the afternoon rush kicked in. For the most part I was able to sit in the right lane and watch the traffic pass me. The news updates on the radio indicated that the cops had to stop traffic in L.A. after the big memorial shindig but I was long gone by the time that happened.

I see that they're still having water issues in the San Joaquin Valley. You can't go half a mile without seeing a sign or billboard referring to the "Congress Created Dust Bowl." 40% unemployment? That's pretty rough, man. I'm no expert on California matters, but the folks in that area have always seemed like decent, hardworking people to me.

I caught up with CA-152 westward and decided to pass on the Petro in San Luis, instead taking my chances on finding parking at the truck stop in Hollister. Good deal there. This place is actually more of a winery/deli/bakery/restaurant/convenience store with truck parking. Casa de Fruta, if you happen to be passing through. Nice place. And it's up in the mountains so I get to enjoy a nice and comfortable 70º evening instead of the 95º that I saw earlier in the day.

I'm somewhere around ten miles north of town right now, so I'll have a nice easy start to the day tomorrow. My directions say that I'm delivering to some kind of research company, but they kinda make it sound like I'm going to someone's house. When I type the adress into Google... I don't know. Hopefully Bill and Jeanne have room for me to maneuver a big truck around their driveway. The freight itself shouldn't be much of an issue, even if it has to be unloaded by hand. I would just hate to run over an alpaca or two while I'm there.

I wonder if Obama and Putin had a chat about this chick. Yikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.