Sunday, July 12, 2009

7/12/09

Man, I don't think Alabama was supposed to be this far from California. Or it might just be that I've had too many long days in a row and I'm sick of the highway. I'm actually looking forward to my hours running out so I can relax for a day or so.

Just a whole lot of I-40 to report this time around. I resisted the temptation to angle down out of Amarillo and stayed on the interstate instead, on account of my hours being in short supply. I'm pretty sure that I would have had a quick ride down to Wichita Falls but US-82 appeared to have a whole lot of towns along the way from Texas to Alabama. I need to cover as many miles as possible for each hour on the road during this trip. So yeah, I-40 all damned day.

The T/A in Sayre, Oklahoma didn't look too crowded as I approached so I stopped in to have my scheduled maintenance done. I received the message from the shop yesterday but I didn't feel like stopping yesterday. Today seemed like a better option. With all of the hot weather and mountain driving, I have noticed that my truck has been burning a little oil lately. Hopefully the new fluids and filters and such will help at least a little.

I spotted the marquee for Wal Mart in Sallisaw, Oklahoma after a few more hours on the road so I ducked off for some food and supplies. I was glad to see that they had an actual truck parking area. I was disappointed to see that nobody in the store knew Tom Joad. Some neighbors they turned out to be, eh?

Back out to the road then... I made it to North Little Rock before today's eleven hours expired. Another freaking 685 miles down, another freaking 390 miles to go. I definitely won't be able to get anywhere close to Bessemer within my remaining hours. Looks like the ole Godfather gets to play the 'wait for midnight' game tomorrow, as directed by your brilliant federal government. I get to drive all morning, sit all afternoon and evening, and then drive overnight. Seems to me it would make more sense just to drive the last few hours in the afternoon and be done with it. Idiots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.