Saturday, July 18, 2009

7/18/09

I can't say that I've ever been a fan of a particular golfer. I enjoy playing the game and I enjoy watching the major championships, but that's about it. Certainly none of the golfers are followed in the same regard as my Tigers, Irish, Redskins, and Wings. All that being said, I had plenty of time to watch the Open Championship today. I'll be a huge Tom Watson fan tomorrow. That would be a hell of a story if he can hang onto his lead for one more round.

So yeah, I sat around and watched golf and baseball all afternoon. No driving for me. Hey, we do have a new milestone to report though. Worst... pay period... evah! That's pretty sweet, or something. 1,119 miles plus a few bucks in northeast pay, so somewhere around $430. Yep. I didn't even do that badly when I was a trainee. Good call putting that vacation pay on this check, eh?

I got a 63 mile dispatch from Manassas to somewhere in Maryland today to wrap up the week. It picks up tomorrow evening though and, after assessing the situation, I decided that I have it pretty good where I am at the moment. I can stay here and get a restart for my log book, then drive over to Maryland tomorrow. I happen to be parked behind a laundromat and I also happened to have a bunch of dirty clothes. That was pretty convenient. There are a couple of bars, a Mexican restaurant, a pizzeria, a 7-11, and a K Mart within walking distance. I had fast enough internet access to watch Watson's last nine holes and then watch the Tigers get beat on a cheap Yankee Stadium blooper homerun. I didn't have to set an alarm for this morning and there are no loud trucks around, so my Swedish buddy Sjoe was spared the headache that he probably deserved after last night. If it weren't for the fact that I don't seem to speak the local language here (espaƱol), today almost would have seemed like a day at home.

Tomorrow night's run is some sort of just-in-time overnight logistics crap with two drops in North Carolina. My pickup time is 6pm but my directions say that I have to arrive an hour early. They also say that nobody will be at the shipper, so I have to call some phone number to tell them to meet me. Then I'm supposed to be sent on my way by 7pm or something. I have read through it three times and it still doesn't really make a lot of sense. We'll just see what happens. I do know that I'll be over 300 miles plus some northeast pay and stop pay by Monday morning - almost 1/3 of the way to matching this week's pitiful performance.

I just realized something. I do believe that I've been asked by my employer to assume an 'up all night/sleep all day' schedule, haven't I? Guess I had better go for a walk and see what that mischievous Swede is up to tonight...

2 comments:

  1. Although that stupid pop fly HR was a disgrace no more than our stupid SS turning a routine groundout into a run scoring infield hit......God they are frustrating at times(most)





    mike3fan

    ReplyDelete
  2. The home run would have been the first out. I don't recall exactly how it all unfolded, but I think the next two hitters went down pretty weakly. Then the Yanks got to show us how weak our shortstop's arm is.

    In any case, if they don't get something figured out in that bullpen, we're gonna be in for a shitty second half.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.