Saturday, July 25, 2009

7/25/09

Man, I got hoodwinked on that football game last night. They didn't broadcast it live in Japan so none of my streaming sources proved useful. Apparently they're supposed to broadcast it on tape tonight instead. Now that I already know that the Irish won the game though, I can't really see any reason to stay up until 6am to watch it.

As a result of the football game not being televised, and as a result of not having to set an alarm for today, I got to sleep somewhere right around my preferred time range last night. I rolled out of bed late in the morning and set out for what turned out to be a rather easy day on the road. By the time I reached Pocahontas, the Tigers' game was just getting heated up and I saw no reason to stop, so I continued driving and listening. Another fantastic finish has the boys in position to sweep those thugs from Chicago tomorrow night. Excellent.

The ballgame lasted long enough to get me into Indiana. This means that I covered a little over 500 miles for the day and left myself a couple of reasonable shifts to reach Massachusetts by Monday night. Beauty. I'm at the Indiana welcome center, not too far outside Terre Haute, and my Sprint internet card has no signal. For a company that likes to market itself as some kind of leading-edge innovator, Sprint really does leave something to be desired with its network coverage. In most of the country I can get at least some signal and the number of areas with broadband speed has improved over the years, but come on. I'm right on the interstate and maybe six miles from a medium sized city. No signal at all? For shame.

I realized, after seeing that the Sprint option wasn't happening tonight, that I haven't had to tether my cell phone for internet service since the nuking of my hard drive. I had a rough idea of what the settings were, but it took me a few tries to get it right. All good now though. No access from Sprint and five signal bars from AT&T, go figure. Occasionally it does make at least a little sense that I have unlimited internet on two different devices. Not often, but occasionally.

I think I'll angle up through Ohio tomorrow and then run the turnpike across New York on this trip. Should be a little more relaxing that way than crossing Pennsylvania and Jersey, I think. I seem to recall something about the truck speed going up in Ohio at some point as well. If that's the case, then my weekend should keep rolling along quite nicely. The 55mph doesn't bother me, but going 55mph all damned day can be tiresome.

2 comments:

  1. no 65mph on US30 but on all interstates it is.


    mike3fan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beauty. I'm on I-70, heading to Columbus and then up toward Erie. Hammer down time, I reckon.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.