Thursday, June 11, 2009

6/11/09

Ahh yes, posting from a loading dock... a time-honored tradition upon returning to work after time off. Tonight's overnight run will be water from Plymouth and not beer from Howell, but it's still heavy and the schedule still sucks. Such is life.

I got up and called the terminal at 7am to get myself on the board and hoped to hear that I was at least #10. A little more sleep was definitely in order as far as I was concerned. The dispatcher said that I was #12 so I went back to bed. When I woke an hour later I was #16. Not sure what that was all about. I steadily climbed up to the top through the course of the afternoon and got my assignment around 4pm. Good old overnighter down to Bloomington, Indiana.

I had dinner at home and then headed up to the yard to get myself settled back in for work. My battery was utterly and completely dead when I got there. No turning over, no click, no nothing. It fired up instantly when the dispatcher connected the charger though. Weird. I left the truck running while I picked up my empty trailer and then shut it off for maybe five minutes while I topped off my fuel tanks. It just barely fired up when I was done. After my 23 mile drive to the shipper, the voltage was just above 12 so I've had it running the whole time. Now, after over an hour of sitting here with the engine idling, the voltage is only at 13. I sincerely hope this gets sorted out once I drive down the highway for a while. The last thing that I need after a long and expensive break at home is to put my truck in the shop.

My delivery in Bloomington is set for 7am and, if history is any guide, these peckerheads at the water plant won't have me rolling any time soon. Looks like I'm due for some old school trucking tonight so I guess I had better take a nap for a while now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.