Sunday, March 29, 2009

3/29/08

I may have mentioned my prescription for the nation's unemployment situation before, but I was reminded again today as I saw all the orange barrels and cones. I can't think of a single time in my life that I haven't seen orange barrels and cones all over the place. The roads are perpetually under construction, yet there never seems to be a whole lot of work getting done. So, if I have mentioned it before, here's a replay; If you want to collect public money, then you will go to a road construction site at 7am every day and do whatever you're told. If the closest site to you is fully staffed for the day, they'll send you to the next closest site where you can be used. They'll pay you whatever is the going rate for unskilled labor, in cash, at the end of the day. Your state will reimburse a percentage of your wages to the construction company, drawing from a combination of unemployment insurance funds and highway funds. Come back the next day and the next day and so forth, until you find another job that you like better. With a few million unemployed people chipping in, I figure we should be done with road construction within 150 years or so.

Okay, now that we've handled that, let's see about your (currently employed) blogger. Another day without much going on, really. I headed north on US-51 out of Memphis, as is my custom. Then across Kentucky on the parkways, up I-65 and I-71, through Cincinnati, and into the first rest area in Ohio. Cloudy, windy, cool day. Light traffic from start to finish. Nothing good on the radio. And so on and so forth. Maybe I've been out here long enough this time around, as all the days are starting to seem the same. Couple more weeks... I have about fifteen miles or so to drive in the morning. Then we'll get cracking on a fresh week of wealth and leisure, or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.