Tuesday, March 31, 2009

3/31/09

It is clearly an indisputable fact at this point that my bed is the most comfortable place in the world. I actually slept for a solid six hours last night without waking a single time. Beauty. I called the terminal this morning, once my ten hour break was over, and got on the board at #3. The dispatcher said that he would have some freight ready to go "in a little bit." Taking this as a sign that I most likely would not be getting the day off, I got my act together and went back to work. I was up to #1 within an hour and then a half hour later... I was #2. Hmm. Must have been a cancelled load or something.

My assignment finally came through this afternoon. "In a little bit" apparently meant tonight at 10pm, as I was the proud recipient of another of those overnight beer loads out of Howell. So I got most of the day off after all. I had a chance to go out and get some lunch with my brother. (To be clear - This was the younger brother who is going to the football game, not the one who is skipping out on a weekend of tailgating in favor of a wedding shower.) He drove me over to Home Depot so I could get a new push broom to replace the one that snapped in half as I swept out my assigned empty trailer today. Yeah, I'm a regular Charles Atlas... or something.

By the time I got back to the yard, the Royal Red Robin Burger in my belly was convincing me that a nap sounded pretty awesome. The rainy cool weather also seemed to help. Beauty. A good couple of hours of rest can work wonders sometimes. I may not fall asleep at the wheel on my way down to Illinois tonight.

My trip out to the shipper was nice and easy, nothing like the last time around. I'm not exactly sure how I'll run the schedule once I leave here. I'll just play it by ear. I'm due at the consignee on the northwest side of Chicago by 7am Central. I'll probably be there at least a couple of hours early if I drive straight through. I'll either have to hope there's room at the consignee for me to hang out and wait or I'll have to take a break somewhere along the way. Depends on how tired I get during the drive, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.